Thin skin

ScaryBonster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a weird problem in that I look drunk in every photograph taken of me - I come out looking a lurid bright red. As far as I can tell, it's because I have very thin, almost unpigmented skin - I can't tan or even freckle and burn like a vampire in strong sunlight, so my theory is that maybe blood vessels are showing through the skin under the flash, like a full-body red-eye.

I would really, really like to have one decent photograph of myself to send to my Dad for Father's Day. Are there any pointers anyone could give me for taking a photo that would avoid this, or could someone walk me through a photoshop technique to de-red myself afterwards?

First of all, quit drinking. Then maybe you won't look drunk. :lol:

Just kidding. Why don't you post one of your photos so people can get a better idea of how it looks and what you might be able to do about it.

There's not a lot you can do while taking the photo. The best thing to try is more diffuse light, e.g., flash bounced off the ceiling or a wall, or flash through an umbrella or softbox. As for PS, you can use a color balance adjustment layer (preferably with a mask) to make the skin less red, but there's a limit to that because it will start to look unnatural. A better alternative is probably to do a color saturation adjustment layer and decrease the red saturation enough to get the look you want.

Are you doing self portraits?

If so, maybe having a professional portrait photographer make images for you would be the answer.

Although I think BJ's solution is the one out of the answers, you can do a color portrait. Just have it done by a person who knows what he/she is doing.

Thank you, all, some very good advice here. I hadn't even thought of black and white, but that is such a good, simple idea.

Getting a professional to do it would be my first choice, but I'm sort of in a position at the moment where I'd have to sell my camera to afford to leave the house. So I shall try to take a nice black & white shot, then see what I can learn by trying out diffuse lighting and colour adjustment in photoshop :)

This is one of the test shots I took while I was trying to work it all out (I'm no great shakes as a photographer, still working out what all the buttons are - I only came to the beyond basics part of the forum because I thought it was more likely someone might have photographed an albino or someone with a similar problem here).

$BP 300711.jpg

When you look at yourself in a mirror, do you seem overly red looking? If not, I'd say this can be dealt with pretty straightforwardly.

My first suggestion: Try using a gray card to calibrate proper white balance and color temperature.

SB, I'm actually having a problem understanding your dilemma. The photo of you looks great, you hardly look intoxicated.
It's funny how our perception of our self is always different from how other people perceive us. Believe me when I say,
half the people that see you during any giving day will not noticed anything, 25% of people will not care and the
remaining 25% will find your complexion attractive. Your photo conveys warmth, sensitivity and honesty. Lucky dad.

Eat a few cream pies every day to get a nice layer of blubber between your skin.

Problem solved. You're Welcome.

SB, I'm actually having a problem understanding your dilemma. The photo of you looks great, you hardly look intoxicated.
It's funny how our perception of our self is always different from how other people perceive us. Believe me when I say,
half the people that see you during any giving day will not noticed anything, 25% of people will not care and the
remaining 25% will find your complexion attractive. Your photo conveys warmth, sensitivity and honesty. Lucky dad.

I agree 100%. I dont see the issue. You are very pretty and Im sure your dad sees that.:thumbup:

I can see what she is refering to did engagement photos for Hubbys co worker last weekend and his skin can look red too even though he is really pale. BW or sephia conversion will eliminate that. As previously stated it can be fixed in PS or light room with neumerous methods. And I do agree you do need to be careful there is a fine line between the fix and unnatural looking. but it can be Done. Pm I might be able to help if you havent fixed it already.

I love the black/white plus sepia solutions, funny and actually useful as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back