Thin White Line

jmolly85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. This is my first time here. I am currently working with 35mm film camera. Doing black and white prints. Developing film myself. I notice on a lot of my film the first few frames have a thin white line that runs horizontally. When printing it coming out very distinct dark line and ruining my images. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this issue? I will attempt to place an image for reference.

Could be something inside the camera that is scratching the emulsion off the film as you advance or rewind.

Lightly drag a silk stocking over all parts of your camera that might touch the film. If the fabric snags on something, examine with a magnifying glass and make corrections.

That can only be scratching on the film. There only two real possibilities - physical damage to the camera around the film gate or grit in the opening to the film cassette. As Designer suggested, the stocking test is a good way of finding any snigs. If the film was a commercial cassette, the velvet seal should not be dirty unless you were very careless. If you are using bulk film, dirt in the cassette seal is quite likely.

There is a possibility that the pressure plate on the film door might be damaged, but scratching the back of the film is a lot less likely to show up in the image.

I am assuming you are sure it is not the scanner if you are using one.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

I am going to take it to get cleaned soon. Ran stocking across but didn't seem to catch on anything. I am printing these in a dark room and am not using a scanner. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can get this resolved with a clean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back