Things are different around the world.... really

:lol: LaFoto! I don't care for ice in my drinks either! The soda we had (which wasn't in Germany though!) was not chilled at all, just warm in the can. It didn't bother me, but my father likes his drinks VERY cold and he was quite cranky in Paris as a result :D

its 8.15pm in my part of the world
we mostly call it a 'cold drink' instead of a soda (and im reffering to pepsi, coke, fanta, mirinda, sprite etc) in my part of the world
we buy milk in packets as well as cartons and most of india buy its milk form the 'milkman' who goes door to door distributing milk
ummm and here we have cooks and cleaners! yahoo less work
in my part of the world... we cook cottage cheese in curry.. its delicious
around here... you see cows intermingling with traffic... prob see a few hanging around busy intersections
hardly anyone eats beef.. oh well even mcdonalds burgers are beef free

and theres a whole load of stuff... we got a mix of everything i guess:)

We do have Fanta here. And as Alison said, not everyone here likes all that ice. I do like my soda cold, but I would like more soda than ice! Also, at my own house, I have plastic reusable ice cubes, so it doesn't water down the drink. Oh...and yes, there is chlorine and flouride in our water most of the time...when I stay at Erik's place out in the country, there is a big difference, as he has well water (no additives). We probably don't notice the 'pool taste' as much as others would because unfortunately, we get used to it.

The worse the water is from the source....the more chlorine to kill bacteria, etc. Here the water is pretty pure. When I lived in Northern canada we could almost drink it from the source with no worries.
Those watered down drinks from the fountains are the worst! You're paying for ice and some syrup.

JohnMF said:
Beer in Germany is so much better than the crappy lager we get in England.
Beer and lager are two completely different beverages (you are confusing 'beer' and 'bier').
We British make beer par excellance - but our lager is indeed gnat's p*ss.

Hertz van Rental said:
Beer and lager are two completely different beverages (you are confusing 'beer' and 'bier').
We British make beer par excellance - but our lager is indeed gnat's p*ss.

*spits out larger* PFFFF!!! So thats why its yellow...

Something I ran into when I moved to New England was a general astonishment that I put creme in iced tea and obviously don't use lemon (if its not obvious put some lemon and cream together in iced tea and see what happens :) Anybody else find this weird?

Also, I grew up with scramble eggs with tuna fish. some people find that weird and yet when I lived in Virginia scrambled pigs brains were common... :puke:

yes LaFoto i've enjoyed the odd Alt too! very nice

crazy people (literally) in parks in Austria, screaming at people in nice clothing :D

lukewarm unsweetened tea in Czech Republic, a week of drinking this by itself, and you'll finally start liking it

the big square light switches in every single room in every building in germany

JohnMF said:
yes LaFoto i've enjoyed the odd Alt too! very nice
Doesn't take long for the conversation to turn to beer, does it. Anyways, Corinna, being German, and therefore knowing what you're talking about as far as beer is concerned...Recommendations! I just found a store with an entire aisle of German imports, so get to it ;)

clarinetJWD said:
Doesn't take long for the conversation to turn to beer, does it. Anyways, Corinna, being German, and therefore knowing what you're talking about as far as beer is concerned...Recommendations! I just found a store with an entire aisle of German imports, so get to it ;)

i had two liters of beer within a few hours after flying into Munich for the first time :wink: best way to start a vacation, there were surfers in munich too, surfing under a bridge

Oh... if only I knew so many different German beers... if you like a really stong taste, go for Jever Pils. If you like to plop open your bottle with a funny noise (and ejnoy the beer that it is inside, for you can!), try Flensburger. If you like your beer softer in taste, there are all the new "Gold" varieties on the market. Like we usually have "Beck's Gold" here (and it is brewed in Bremen, my husband's home town, so go figure ;)).

At times I also like the quite strong "Bock" varieties, such as "Einbeck Urbock" or so... and I used to like the wheat beers but they give me headaches on the following day, so I have refrained from having them.

Speaking of drinks... one thing that got me by surprise in Germany is that most restaurants don't give free refills on soda. You learn very quickly how to make that .30l glass last the whole meal. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back