Things got very wet!

ryanwaff

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two or so weeks ago, the temperature was well into the 30's (Celsius) so my sister and I thought what better way than to cool off than to take some photos while swimming:

$_DSC8712-Edit.jpg

This is one of the best photos from the session. I would have liked to have had the flash directly behind her, however, I was using the onboard wireless flash trigger in my d90 and when she flicked her hair, the flash was not able to pick up the signal. However Im still happy with the way the shot came out. Next time I try this, Im going to try and snoot the flash to control the light spill into the water.

Thoughts?

I think it looks great. One suggestion I would make for next time is to try it while the sun is still just barely out, that way you've got some nice warm ambient light to go with it. You would even be able to use the sun as a back light and your speedlite as the key light. Also perhaps you could adjust her body pose to something a little more graceful looking.

We tried with ambient light, however the issue is that almost right behind the pool there is a massive tree and rocks on the ground that dont lend themselves to the image. All we landed up with those visible was a messy background that detracted from the image. But I do understand what you are saying though :)

As for the pose, any examples or suggestions? We were struggling to come up with new poses.

The swimming hair flick is a much used shot, a bit of a photo cliché... but this is the first time I've seen it done this way (I don't get out much ;) ) and I really like it. You've done good work with the presentation, too, meaning the way you've set her in a pool of light surrounded by blackness. Have you tried it as a square crop? The only criticism I can think of is that there's a lot of blank space above her, but then that may be part of the shot's beauty.

I like this; as Grandad says, this is a bit cliché, but that's not always a bad thing - how many people have taken a picture of Half Dome from the same perspective as Mr. Adams? One thing I do think might have helped would have been to have the model either topless, or with a less contrasty bikini top.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back