Things that make a better photographer

The-SunDance-Kid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do you guys think having an expensive camera makes a better photographer? As the camera is what makes the picture good isn't it?

and will people take my work seriously if I don't have an expensive film or digital camera? Right now I just have an older 35mm pentax.

Do you guys think having an expensive camera makes a better photographer?
No, not necessarily. Having a good expensive camera will allow a photographer to do what he wants to do a little more easily, but it just takes the picture...the photographer makes all the creative decisions.
As the camera is what makes the picture good isn't it?
It can, to an extent. But there are many amazing pictures that have been taken with simple point and shoot cameras. But again, it's the photographer who is making all the creative decisions.
and will people take my work seriously if I don't have an expensive film or digital camera? Right now I just have an older 35mm pentax.
Don't tell them what kind of camera you use...just show them your pictures and let them judge you by your talent, not what you use to take the pictures.

As it is in shooting....

"It's the nut behind the buttplate."

Camera is a tool. You can have the best tools in the world, but it still takes a skilled operator.

Only to a certain extent. If you are comparing a point&shoot to a DSLR then yes, but as mentioned the camera is just a tool. A bad photographer will blame his tools, and a good one can put down his D3 and make great photo's out of whatever camera you use.

Learn about the settings on your camera so you know how to adapt to different situations. I recommend buying some books and studying them.

I currently use a D60 because I am new to DSLR's. Once i get better, I will upgrade to a D300 body. Do they provide better control? Yes. But that control doesn't mean a thing without the knowledge of how to use it.

If you are happy with the pictures on your Pentax, then that's what matters. Don't tell them what kind of camera you have. If you say things like "I just have a pentax 35mm" you will convince them it's a poor camera when they may not have known otherwise beforehand.

Do you guys think having an expensive camera makes a better photographer?
No. The camera is the least important part of making the image. It's the person looking through the camera that counts the most.

As the camera is what makes the picture good isn't it?
No. The camera is the least important part of making the image. It's the person looking through the camera that counts the most.

and will people take my work seriously if I don't have an expensive film or digital camera?
That you enjoy looking at your images is the only thing that matters. If other people do to, so much the better.

Right now I just have an older 35mm pentax.
Great, make some images with it.

Learn what it is about images that are pleasing to the eye: the rule of thirds, diagonals, golden spirals, leading lines, contrasting colors, in short composition.

Look at your images honestly and think of ways you could have made the images better.

bahahahah...

*Chris counts the seconds until this totally implodes.*

Wait! I know! I'll fan the flames!!!!

ANYONE WHO DOESNT HAVE AT LEAST A $3000 CAMERA IS NOT A REAL PHOTOGRAPHER AND COULD NEVER CALL THEMSELVES A PROFESSIONAL!!!

Oh, btw... you can't print without massive megapixels... like at least 20!

Lesseeee, what else?

Oh yeah... Canon sucks!

*Chris roots around for some more flamebait.*

:lol:

btw, Sundance, I'm not doing this to poke fun at you... :) Welcome to the forums, btw.

It's just funny because this question comes up occasionally and is kinda akin to throwing a hand grenade into a barrel of oatmeal.

>>> FOOOOOOMP!!!! <<<

Don't forget that you need to have that $1000 tripod. a $800 flash, That name brand bag.

Manaheim and farmerj are morons...

1. no you don't need an expensive camera, just a creative eye
2. you only need a $700 Tripod
3. Canon RULES ALL!!!

oh and you need cs4,photomatix,lightroom, and photoshop.

hehe

:)

If a given photographer is defined only by the make/model of his camera, then it is likely his/her work is less than what is expected from a "professional". I like what Scott Bourne says about this topic. His standard response to "great camera = great photos" comments is, 'Yes, I got my camera at the same place Leonardo Da Vinci buys his brushes'!

But it does depend quite a bit on the camera. If the photographer's vision is to make a subject a focal point with sharp focus, and shallow depth of field, he cannot do that with a Canon PowerShot SD750, can he. The photographer and his/her creative vision IS hampered by his/her equipment in this example. This is one reason CHDK is available for the Canon point-n-shoots. To expand the potential of a tool that was limited by the manufacture.

Granted, the tools don't make the artist, but the quality of the tools DOES matter.
Quality tools allow the artist more freedom precision to fully realize thier potential.

^^^ I agree with the jeweler, but lots of people spit blood over remarks like that.

As a side note, I see Josh changed his avatar to flaunt how much cooler looking he is than me. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back