Think I am getting a thing for ducks!

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would appreciate your thoughts on this image. I wasn't convinced of it myself, but then again, I like the way I caught the moment, the splash, etc. And if anyone knows what the duck is, that'd be a help, too. :)

All thoughts appreciated.

Duck jumps in 2a by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Looks like a Mandarin male duck you have there - jumping into some very muddy water too ;)

I'm not sure about the shot either - I think the splash capture is good and the reflection on the water of the ducks face and eye is surprisingly clear for water so soon jumped in. The detraction to me is the background, the big rock lumps that sort of distract and give it a manmade feel ish to the area. The use of flash and the dark lighting might also be contributing factors (it feels caged/locked up/indoors without the natural light component giving a stronger, more ambient lighting).

pretty wild image! A tighter crop would probably help.. get rid of some of the background. Really cool with stopping the splash like that....

Looks like a Mandarin male duck you have there - jumping into some very muddy water too ;)

I'm not sure about the shot either - I think the splash capture is good and the reflection on the water of the ducks face and eye is surprisingly clear for water so soon jumped in. The detraction to me is the background, the big rock lumps that sort of distract and give it a manmade feel ish to the area. The use of flash and the dark lighting might also be contributing factors (it feels caged/locked up/indoors without the natural light component giving a stronger, more ambient lighting).

You have picked up most of what I am not sure of, other than the fact that flash wasn't used. The light yesterday was so variable with bright sunlioght through dark clouds. I think this may have been at a bright moment...looking at 1/800s at f5 at 100mm. I'm going to crop some more and see if I can lose the man-made rocks a little more...

Cheers

pretty wild image! A tighter crop would probably help.. get rid of some of the background. Really cool with stopping the splash like that....

Thank you. It's what I like about it, the action. But unfortunately the ducks don't always do what you want in the most photogenic places! :)
Planning a tighter crop still.

Cheers

What kind of duck? A delicious one!

Not a fan of flash, otherwise is a great capture. Would increase the aperture to limit the depth of field more.

Thank you.

No flash used, though, and the aperture was as wide as it goes on this lens. The light was quite harsh at times in the day...think I caught this at one of those times.

Cheer

Most reactions

New Topics

Back