Thinking about a new lens....

marmle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw this and I thought...not bad for £190....Just looking for a second opinion.

Sigma DC OS Nikon AF-S fit 18-250mm MACRO HSM AF Lens Built in Motor Stabalised | eBay

I have always been reluctant to buy second hand, but I cant really afford new at the moment and this seems like quite a bargain. I have seen similar lenses cheaper, but when someone is selling a £500 lens for less than £100 it makes me think its probably not in great condition.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's cheap because it's a Sigma.

The price as I see it is 189.99 pounds sterling. Not "less than 100".

Take your time and shop quality.

Sigma lenses rapidly lose their value on the second hand Market. A $999 sigma will probably be worth $350 in 5 years , where a similarly-priced Nikon will probably be worth $500 in five years time.

Just looking for a second opinion.
What, more precisely, are you looking for, and what is your proposed budget?

IOW; are you looking for a mid-range zoom? Or perhaps an outstanding image-maker? What type of photography? Portraiture? Travel snaps?

With the entire world of lenses available, what do you really want?

I have an 18-125 mm DC in that series. It is in Canon mount and I bought it with my Canon 20D about 14 years ago. The performance is quite underwhelming and I expect that this 18 to 250 millimeter will offer similarly poor performance.

I will never buy another sigma product again. I had nothing but focus nightmares. I've bought 3 and every one was total garbage. Tell us what you are looking for....

I am looking for an all round lens that has zoom and macro capability. After reading some of the replies in this thread though, I think I will save up for a new Nikon lens since they seem to be the best, even though I had a Sigma lens before once and was quite happy with it, maybe I just got lucky.

Edit: Just saw this one and am very tempted

Nikon AF-S VR 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 G ED Nikkor Zoom Lens with Front & Rear Caps | eBay

Last edited:
That lens is not a true macro lens albeit it say it has a macro function. Not much use for that function.

One thing to remember, though I do not think it will apply to you.
The zoom ring on the Sigma lens turns in the opposite direction than the zoom ring on the Nikon lenses.
That can be a source of muscle confusion.
Turning the zoom ring the wrong way drove me NUTS. Enough that I put the borrowed lens away never to use it again.

Another lens to look at is the DX 18-140.
I have it, and I LIKE it.

I am looking for an all round lens that has zoom and macro capability. After reading some of the replies in this thread though, I think I will save up for a new Nikon lens since they seem to be the best, even though I had a Sigma lens before once and was quite happy with it, maybe I just got lucky.

Edit: Just saw this one and am very tempted

Nikon AF-S VR 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 G ED Nikkor Zoom Lens with Front & Rear Caps | eBay
I have a couple of thoughts here;

This is what is usually referred to as a "super zoom", meaning that the zoom range is extended compared to some other zoom lenses. That is fine for most travel and family shots, but maybe not for professional use.

I usually refrain from bidding on auction items because it makes me anxious while I'm waiting for the auction to be over. I can't bid on or buy another one as long as my bid is viable. I have purchased in this manner, and it's your call, but I prefer to purchase a "buy it now" item because I won't have to wait. The way you bid successfully is to decide on your top bid, and bit that much. Ebay will increase your bid only a percentage amount until you reach your maximum, at which point you either win the bid or someone else bids higher. Pretty easy, really, just be mindful of the average sales price and how much you wish to spend.

I don't think this lens will do a true macro, but you can save up for a macro lens and get that next.

The main thing I watch for is condition. I look it over very closely, and read the description carefully. I also look for "clues" as to any potential issues that may not be clearly stated. For instance; I check the seller's other items to judge whether he/she is careful with equipment, and I will generally not purchase any lens that comes from hot, humid regions.

Good luck!

Last edited:
The 18-200 VR is available in two versions and it takes a bit of detective work sometimes to find out which one you are being offered for sale. I would check the kenrockwell.com website to learn how to differentiate the original from the subsequent model.

I just stopped by there myself and found out that the maximum reproduction ratio is .22 or in other words just a little bit less than 1/4 life size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back