Thinking of professional photography, where do I begin?

Well he asked I answered. It just so happens that that's what I'm shooting right now. Especially because it is a sport I love but sports photography is not what I really want to get into.

Lots of good advice considering the history of this type of post.

You can make more money doing CAD.

There are many different kinds of professional photography. The 3 main types are:
  1. Retail
  2. Commercial
  3. Editorial.
Which of those 3 doors do you want to put a foot in.

Also inside each of the above 3 types of photography are numerous subject types to choose from, including but not limited to sports, portrait, landscape etc.

I don't get a lot of money from photography but it compliments my writing very well and all my equipment has been paid for by places like The New York Times, ATV Magazine and MX Affiliate Magazine, as well as local papers/magazines among others.

You'll need find someone to buy your stuff. That can be parents/relatives at a match, media outlets, businesses etc. If you've got a local paper you might start there.

Don't give up your day job.

Stick with your full paying real job, and shoot on the side. Then you'll have the cash to hire or buy whatever you want for your shoot, instead of trying to scrape and please others.

You could try working as a full time photographer for a few months, just shoot the events you get hired for or the photos you sell from shooting on spec and see how much money you walk away with at the end. I know you are willing to pay your dues and take your time to "learn" the whole business, but perhaps just getting a small taste of what it's really like may open your eyes to the reality of the full time world. Who knows you may even end up breaking even.

Most reactions

Back