Thinking of upgrading...

Yes, I definitely want video capability if at all possible...I do tend to use that function a lot on my T1i. I will think about the lens before the body then. I imagine that my camera will keep going for a good long time anyway and it does do well considering its age. The reason I like the 55-250 is because it starts where my 18-55 and my 50mm end. But having 2.8 would be awful nice. I am a huge fan of bokeh and I like to take pictures from a fair distance away so I'm not right in people's faces. I also do love wildlife although I don't have much around here so I do more landscapes and flowers and boring stuff like that :D

The reason I like the 55-250 is because it starts where my 18-55 and my 50mm end.
The difference between 55mm and 70mm is negligible enough that in almost every situation, you could close the gap by just walking forward or backward a couple of feet. I don't think you should worry all that much about covering every mm.

Personally, I wouldn't even take anywhere close to a full coverage with me. Maybe like a 24mm OR 50mm prime (depending on where I espect to be able to stand), and a 70-200 and that's it, to a normal, non-marathon-wedding type event. Having fewer ranges available I think tends to help me "see" more shots, because I'm not being flooded by too many choices. Sort of like ordering at a restaurant with a 1 page menu instead of an 8 page menu.

But that's a matter of preference. 55-70, though, don't worry, even if you like to have all your options.

Hi Gavjenks, I have to respectfully disagree. I use wi-fi to send images to the cloud from the field - I use the flip out screen for low/high angle shots that would be much more difficult with a fixed LCD. These are completely separate use cases.
Getting the ability to load images to the cloud in the field does not require a new camera. You can buy an eye-fi card for like $30, which is why I think the only significant advantage of wifi built in is the EOS app or laptop control, to use it remotely, which in most cases can also be acocmplished with a flipout screen and a cheap remote (shooting over fences and stuff).

There are some extreme cases where a wifi app would be significantly more useful than a flipout, like shooting from the top of a giant news van style pole, or if you are doing a glamour photoshoot of yourself and want to check focus, etc. without running back and forth. But... yeah.

The video thing is admittedly more of a problem. Body upgrades are more worthwhile for that, plus an entirely different set of lenses is ideal for video anyway (things with stepper motors). @OP, if you are more hardcore about video than stills, then my suggestion would be to indeed get a 70D, and then buy an 18-135 IS STM lens, which has silent autofocus for video sound quality, and is made to work as well as possible with the newer video AF technology. Also just nicer in general than the kit lens, and replaces it entirely. Sadly you can only sell your kit lens for like $50-80.

$1200 70D + $500ish 18-135 IS STM = $1700 about the same price as the 7D and the 70-200 2.8.

Note 1: the 18-135 IS STM is an EF-S lens, and would NOT work on a 6D. If you prefer to invest in full frame, then you'd have to come up with a different combo (the only STM full frame lens is the 40mm pancake, which is not terribly sensical given your current lens collection, but USM motors are still decent for video too)

Note 2: The above video advice assumes you are doing like 25-30% of your work as video, tops. If you're really serious about video to the point where 50% or more of your work is video, then I would just forget about DSLRs entirely, and get a nice camcorder. Similar or better tracking focus quality and plenty good resolution, etc. at a much smaller price. A very nice camcorder + a 70-200 2.8 for your existing DSLR would also end up around $1600, and would be the best option, I think, if you actually do both kinds of shooting equally and want to improve both seriously.

Last edited:
Check out this thread I started. :)

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/canon/332627-b-h-bundle-sale-eos-6d-eos-5d-mark-iii.html

Note:
You can buy either one of these to qualify for this bundle deal - good until September 30th. Check the Canon rebate PDF
here!

• Canon EOS 5D Mark III Camera
  • Canon EOS 5D Mark II Camera
  • Canon EOS 7D Camera
  • Canon EOS 6D Camera
  • Canon EOS 60D Camera
  • Canon EOS Rebel T5i Camera
  • Canon EOS Rebel T4i Camera
  • Canon EOS Rebel T3i Camera
  • Canon EOS Rebel T3 Camera
  • Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Camera

And... You can just buy a lens, instead of a camera body or kit, to qualify for the rebate. :)

• EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
  • EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM
  • EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
  • EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
  • EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
  • EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
  • EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
  • EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
  • EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Last edited:

Most reactions