this girl needs some help! c;

haynbayx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone! I've been making do for the longest time with my point-and-shoot camera, but recently I got a Canon EOS Rebel t3. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out some things!

My main issue right now is taking pictures of moving things. (ex, my dog running around & jumping ) Everything around her seems perfect and she's a blurry mess. I've played with just about every setting i can find and nothing seems to be helping much.
Would you guys suggest a different lens? ( using the kit lens atm ) and which setting would you suggest? ANYTHING helps! thanks so much. i didn't know where else to put this.
i can also show some examples of my problems in pictures i've taken if that helps any

use a shutter priority mode, try to get it around 1/250 or higher.

use a shutter priority mode, try to get it around 1/250 or higher.

it goes up to 1/4000. i don't want it so fast that it doesn't look like she's moving, either. do you think that 1/4000 would do that? :x

What you want is pan for motion.Set your camera to center point focus,change focus mode to Alservo and set your shutter speed to 1/60 of second.Focus your center point on the dog while running and in one smooth but sweeping motion on the dog as you release the shutter.That will give you a blur moving look background but freeze the dog in action.

If you dont follow the dog left to right or right to left sweeping with motion and release the shutter as the dog passes the frame and you are still with the camera the dog will be blurry.Practice on a moving car is always good because the object is much bigger and easer to track providing the car is not traveling to fast.

Here is a video that may be of some help to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site.

This could be one of three issues:

1.) your shutter speed is too slow, increase your shutter speed
2.) you are focused on the background rather than your dog. Solution: use centre point focus mode and learn to focus and recompose.
3.) you were focused on your dog, but your dog moved forward or backward, most likely if you photographed your dog running towards you for example. Solution: use tracking autofocus.

2.) you are focused on the background rather than your dog. Solution: use centre point focus mode and learn to focus and recompose.
3.) you were focused on your dog, but your dog moved forward or backward, most likely if you photographed your dog running towards you for example. Solution: use tracking autofocus.

Thank you SO MUCH! I had to do a little research on the center point focus mode, but I figured it out. I'm definitely going to go out and play with the settings some more tomorrow :)

Thank you SO MUCH! I had to do a little research on the center point focus mode, but I figured it out. I'm definitely going to go out and play with the settings some more tomorrow :)

I'm happy you were able to come here and get some advice that helped! :) Please post your pictures in our Gallery section...we'd love to see how they turn out.

Welcome to the forum!

As you can see, you have come to the right place for advice / help! ;)

I'm happy you were able to come here and get some advice that helped! :) Please post your pictures in our Gallery section...we'd love to see how they turn out.

I will as soon as i get some c:

You're welcome, glad I could help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back