This is kinda weird NOT C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not weird.. it's understanding basic light properties..

Yeah, no.

Like Aaron said, knowing the properties of light would not explain why people are not showing up in the frame during a long exposure.

It's simply understanding exposure.

A moving object that is not a light source is not being lit enough by the ambient light to be captured in the frame during a long exposure with low sensitivity settings.

Yeah, no.

Like Aaron said, knowing the properties of light would not explain why people are not showing up in the frame during a long exposure.

A moving object that is not a light source is not being lit enough by the ambient light to be captured in the frame during a long exposure with low sensitivity settings.

And what is exposure? Exposure is the amount of time needed to capture light. So if you understand that the exposure is set for 30 seconsd to capture the light needed to get the buildings in that shot to appear (and the buildings clearly are standing still for 30 seconds) then the amount of light reflecting off an object not standing still to the camera will not be enough to make it appear on said photo. As I said. It's basic light properties. See below for the definition of exposure for photography.

Exposure:In photography, exposure is the amount of light allowed to fall on each area unit of a photographic medium (photographic film or image sensor) during the process of taking a photograph. Exposure is measured in lux seconds, and can be computed from exposure value (EV) and scene luminance in a specified region.

Yeah, no.

And what is exposure? Exposure is the amount of time needed to capture light. So if you understand that the exposure is set for 30 seconsd to capture the light needed to get the buildings in that shot to appear (and the buildings clearly are standing still for 30 seconds) then the amount of light reflecting off an object not standing still to the camera will not be enough to make it appear on said photo. As I said. It's basic light properties. See below for the definition of exposure for photography.

Exposure:In photography, exposure is the amount of light allowed to fall on each area unit of a photographic medium (photographic film or image sensor) during the process of taking a photograph. Exposure is measured in lux seconds, and can be computed from exposure value (EV) and scene luminance in a specified region.

That's like saying in order to drive a car, you have to understand how combustion works. Sure, it's important to the act of driving, but the lack of knowledge about combustion does not affect your ability to drive.

Like I said, it's not understanding the properties of light, it's understanding exposure.

To take it a step further, you are essentially saying that understanding the properties of light will allow you to know how to properly expose an image.

Yeah, no.

That's like saying in order to drive a car, you have to understand how combustion works. Sure, it's important to the act of driving, but the lack of knowledge about combustion does not affect your ability to drive.

Like I said, it's not understanding the properties of light, it's understanding exposure.

Exposure is literally getting the correct amount of light into the picture. They're basically interchangable words. Too much light and you're overexposed, not enough light and you're underexposed. Changing the length of your exposure is simply controlling the amount of light you let in to your sensor (or film).

Exposure is literally getting the correct amount of light into the picture. They're basically interchangable words. Too much light and you're overexposed, not enough light and you're underexposed. Changing the length of your exposure is simply controlling the amount of light you let in to your sensor (or film).

Right, but it's not altering the properties of the light entering the lens. So, knowing the properties of the light has nothing to do with knowing how to capture it.

I don't have to know the anatomy of a lightning bug to be able to capture it in a jar.

Right, but it's not altering the properties of the light entering the lens. So, knowing the properties of the light has nothing to do with knowing how to capture it.

I don't have to know the anatomy of a lightning bug to be able to capture it in a jar.

Actually understanding the properties of light has everything to do with it. The light reflecting off the buildings to your camera sensor means it needed 30 seconds to produce that image. Understanding not enough light is reflecting off a moving bike to make it appear on the picture is not understanding basic light principles.

Either way - you don't understand light, or exposure if you think it's weird.. and both are very simple to understand.

Holy bucket**** people!
(i like adding the f word to random things)

It's not like this is rocket science! All objects occupy any given area for a period of time. How long that period of time relative to the time the shutter is open influences how much influence it has in the recorded image.

Some things, like the buildings sit there motionless allowing the light which they represent to accumulate in the same place on the sensor, the image is concentrated to one specific region on the sensor. Others, like the cyclist, diffuse that image over a larger area and only for a fraction of of the total exposure time. If the cyclist is moving fast enough, then his or her influence is not significant enough to measure and theirfor is not recorded.

If you sat up an exposure for 700 billion years, the buildings also would be invisible. It's just averaging people!

Right, so by teaching someone who has never used a camera in their life the properties of light, then they should be able to put the camera on manual and know how to use f/stops, ISO, and shutter speed properly right?

Because after all, exposure and light properties are the same thing.

Too much light, and you change your exposure.
Too little light, and you change your exposure.

Changing the length of your exposure is simply controlling the amount of light you let in to your sensor (or film)

Bingo. So tell me how knowing the properties of light helps you understand why people walking in the frame do not show up.

Intensity,Quality,Direction,Color. Where do these fit in to the explanation?

The light reflecting off the buildings to your camera sensor means it needed 30 seconds to produce that image.

No it doesn't.

At ISO 3200 and f/1.8, I could capture that image in 1/60th shutter speed.

Once gain, you are not gaining ground in your argument. The settings on the camera are what controls how fast or how slow it will catch the light.

I'd bet that at 30 seconds, this image was set on ISO 100 with an aperture of f/19 or f/22. Once again, having nothing to do with the properties of the light, and EVERYTHING to do with the settings on the camera.

Right, so by teaching someone who has never used a camera in their life the properties of light, then they should be able to put the camera on manual and know how to use f/stops, ISO, and shutter speed properly right?

Changing the length of your exposure is simply controlling the amount of light you let in to your sensor (or film)

Bingo. So tell me how knowing the properties of light helps you understand why people walking in the frame do not show up.

To answer your question(For Quality, Direction, Intensity) I'll just quote the guy above you.. "Some things, like the buildings sit there motionless allowing the light which they represent to accumulate in the same place on the sensor, the image is concentrated to one specific region on the sensor. Others, like the cyclist, diffuse that image over a larger area and only for a fraction of of the total exposure time. If the cyclist is moving fast enough, then his or her influence is not significant enough to measure and theirfor is not recorded."

As for color you would need to understand that the light spectrum is not picked up by sensors and is added in afterwards.

To answer your question(For Quality, Direction, Intensity) I'll just quote the guy above you.. "Some things, like the buildings sit there motionless allowing the light which they represent to accumulate in the same place on the sensor, the image is concentrated to one specific region on the sensor. Others, like the cyclist, diffuse that image over a larger area and only for a fraction of of the total exposure time. If the cyclist is moving fast enough, then his or her influence is not significant enough to measure and theirfor is not recorded."

As for color you would need to understand that the light spectrum is not picked up by sensors and is added in afterwards.

Yikes.

So, long story short, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yikes.

So, long story short, you have no idea what you are talking about.

+2 on both of these.

This guy thinks he understands light, but then doesn't understand that color is simply reflection & absorption of light. The "color" doesn't ever have to be added in, because the colors are contained in the light itself, which is being captured initially by the imaging sensor.

If color was added in "afterwards," There would be absolutely NO NEED for white balance, as the camera would get it right every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back