This is the beginner's forum right?

McMommy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to mention something, before I get too comfortable here, in the event that maybe I'm on the wrong kind of board.

This part of the forum is for beginners right? People who consider themselves beginners, anyway. Where others can come and give feedback in a constructive, polite, and courteous way, knowing full well they are commenting on non-pro work?

I'm just asking because I've seen a LOT of snarky, "holier than thou" comments to several people's photos and questions here. It's a huge turnoff and I'm just wondering if people realize when they are commenting on a "beginner" thread.

If so...then I'll be moving onward. It's hurtful to see so many "pros" bashing newbies for asking newbish questions. Also it's hurtful to see people getting bashed for what are actually pretty good "beginner" photos. I haven't noticed it a whole lot on my own threads, maybe a little here and there, but I've noticed it a lot on others' threads and it's clearly intentional.

So that's that. Forgive me if this has been asked before. Maybe it can be a gentle reminder to those who might just comment on all posts without looking which category it was posted under. Just be kind, please? :hug::

Usually when I see snarky comments here it's the result of two things:

1. Someone asking a question that most people would consider easily answered by a simple Google search, or

2. Coming to the Beginners Forum, and expecting that the answer and critiques they get will turn them into instant professionals.

I've gotten a TON of good advice and help here, even that which looks snarky. Treat others on the forum with respect (like avoid the two things I listed above) and you'll find that there's a wealth of knowledge here.

Except for Bitter Jeweler, just ignore whatever he says ;)

I do find it a little ... disappointing to meet people who have these powerhouse cameras and have little to no understanding of photography basics. Usually the only photographic term they know is "bokeh", which just seems like a huge fad to me. So I like to poke fun at that.

For the most part, though, I think I post a fair amount of constructive criticism. Far more than I receive, actually.

Cry me a river...

The biggest DIS service you can possibly do for anyone wanting to improve their photography is to go blindly praising their work.

I, and most others, come here because there is a degree of honesty that helps us become better photographers. If you want a pat on the back look elsewhere.

I dont want people critiquing my photos as "beginner pictures" id rather harsh comments then someone telling me my photo is good when it isnt. These kind of threads pop up all the time, sure some comments are out of line but this is the internet, that is going to happen.

I wanted to mention something, before I get too comfortable here, in the event that maybe I'm on the wrong kind of board.

This part of the forum is for beginners right? People who consider themselves beginners, anyway. Where others can come and give feedback in a constructive, polite, and courteous way, knowing full well they are commenting on non-pro work?

I'm just asking because I've seen a LOT of snarky, "holier than thou" comments to several people's photos and questions here. It's a huge turnoff and I'm just wondering if people realize when they are commenting on a "beginner" thread.

If so...then I'll be moving onward. It's hurtful to see so many "pros" bashing newbies for asking newbish questions. Also it's hurtful to see people getting bashed for what are actually pretty good "beginner" photos. I haven't noticed it a whole lot on my own threads, maybe a little here and there, but I've noticed it a lot on others' threads and it's clearly intentional.

So that's that. Forgive me if this has been asked before. Maybe it can be a gentle reminder to those who might just comment on all posts without looking which category it was posted under. Just be kind, please? :hug::
:hail: Amen Sista'

I do find it a little ... disappointing to meet people who have these powerhouse cameras and have little to no understanding of photography basics. Usually the only photographic term they know is "bokeh", which just seems like a huge fad to me. So I like to poke fun at that.

I totally agree with you. I hate when a newbie has a "powerhouse" camera and has no idea what an f stop is!!!:lol:

Well some of the rudeness can be found by scrolling up in this thread.

I'm not asking you to sugar coat your comments. If you want to tell somebody that the color is off, don't just flat out say "you didn't do a good job pp, it looks terrible." Say "Did you mean to make the color that way? If you make it brighter, it would greatly enhance the photo."

Also, I really don't think anyone posting their work on this part of the forums is claiming to be a pro just because they bought a camera. Yes, I've seen the "hey I want to sell my work, I've been taking pictures for 3 hours, whaddya think" posts... that's not what I'm referring to. It's the elitist attitude that comes off in many people's responses, when it could be worded differently to be helpful, instead of hurtful!

Cry me a river...

The biggest DIS service you can possibly do for anyone wanting to improve their photography is to go blindly praising their work.

I, and most others, come here because there is a degree of honesty that helps us become better photographers. If you want a pat on the back look elsewhere.

:confused:

This is EXACTLY the kind of comment I'm talking about. It's like you are talking to a neighbor you really don't like after having a few beers at their house. You know... the kind of talk that maybe you didn't mean "like that" but you also don't have the tact to censor yourself? It's just mean, and yeah it's the internet, but this is still a community. It's not a two-bit AOL chatroom full of random people... People with a common passion/interest, trying to enjoy and improve upon their craft- no matter their skill level!

So it's not what we say, it's how we say it?

Or are you referring to comments that have only negative comments and not suggestions for improvement?

Cry me a river...

This is EXACTLY the kind of comment I'm talking about. It's like you are talking to a neighbor you really don't like after having a few beers at their house. You know... the kind of talk that maybe you didn't mean "like that" but you also don't have the tact to censor yourself? It's just mean, and yeah it's the internet, but this is still a community. It's not a two-bit AOL chatroom full of random people... People with a common passion/interest, trying to enjoy and improve upon their craft- no matter their skill level!

Give me a break....if you let comments like that get to you I advise you to stay away from any kind of internet chat.

Well some of the rudeness can be found by scrolling up in this thread.

I'm not asking you to sugar coat your comments. If you want to tell somebody that the color is off, don't just flat out say "you didn't do a good job pp, it looks terrible." Say "Did you mean to make the color that way? If you make it brighter, it would greatly enhance the photo."
If people don't post explanations with their photos, then any critique is fair game. Have you ever participated in a formal critique of other people's work, in real life? The best criticism is when people tell you straight-up this photograph doesn't work, and here's why.

This is EXACTLY the kind of comment I'm talking about.

I'm glad you see the irony.

Hey, some people like dolled up namby pamby responses, others like to be blunt and to the point. Maybe you're being intolerant of other peoples beliefs? :er:

Cry me a river...

McMommy- I try not to read to much into an "expression" of a comment. I do this because one time, when I was married I got a text from my husband. IT WAS ALL IN CAPS. I don't even remember exactly what it was but I worried about it cause I thought he was yelling at me. When I asked him if he was upset he had no idea what I was talking about. When I said, you were yelling at me.... He was like.. huh, oh my caps somehow got locked and I was in a hurry so didn't change it.

So, from then on.. not with just a relationship but anything I read and can't really see an expression.. I don't think too much about it..

I just like the.. let me google that for you response.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back