This Machine Built Continents

Kulanu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The first technology that redrew the map of the world by magnifying human strength was the Catapult. Then came the Steam Engine. Next the Microchip! Evolution is interesting.

Cheers

Attachments

• $DSCF4431.jpg
    $DSCF4431.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 119
The first technology that redrew the map of the world by magnifying human strength was the Catapult. Then came the Steam Engine. Next the Microchip! Evolution is interesting.

Cheers

Funny... I would have said the fulcrum and lever! Especially since it predated all the things you mentioned, and both the catapult and the steam engine draw on the principles of the fulcrum and lever to work!

Lever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers

Funny... I would have said the fulcrum and lever! Especially since it predated all the things you mentioned, and both the catapult and the steam engine draw on the principles of the fulcrum and lever to work!

zOMG--I thought of the fulcrum and lever too!!! And then the block and tackle....pretty sure the block and tackle came before the catapult, but I get what yer saying...ANywayyyyy, as far as it goes, (bad pun) the atlatl or "spear-thrower" MIGHT have actually been the first device that redrew the map of the world by magnifying human strength...look at the underlying principle that it is based upon! cough,cough

spear-thrower - Google Search

Anyway, yes, locomotives...railways...MOST impressive things on a historical scale, and always fun to photograph. And yes, the microchip has been a biggie!!!!!!!

I'm a huge ferroequinologist, and love almost any locomotive shot, but why this tight crop? Why not include the motion and some of the more interesting bits and pieces?

Cheers

Agree! The Catapult embodies these technologies into the instrument of war that changed the world. When I was writing this I was thinking of the cow being hurled at the Castle in Holy Grail. If it were a fulcrum and lever, the cow would have only teetered :)

Cheers

zOMG--I thought of the fulcrum and lever too!!! And then the block and tackle....pretty sure the block and tackle came before the catapult, but I get what yer saying...ANywayyyyy, as far as it goes, (bad pun) the atlatl or "spear-thrower" MIGHT have actually been the first device that redrew the map of the world by magnifying human strength...look at the underlying principle that it is based upon! cough,cough

spear-thrower - Google Search

Anyway, yes, locomotives...railways...MOST impressive things on a historical scale, and always fun to photograph. And yes, the microchip has been a biggie!!!!!!!

Atlatl's are fun.... takes a lot of practice to hit anything with one! ;)

I'm a huge ferroequinologist, and love almost any locomotive shot, but why this tight crop? Why not include the motion and some of the more interesting bits and pieces?

This was the photo out of the camera. I was using a 18mm prime lens. Had I zoomed out (backed up) all the potential romance would have been ruined. You would have seen that this gorgeous locomotive and private pullman car sits ignobly in the back parking of an industrial building in Sylmar, California. At least the crop allows for some suspension of disbelief :)

Cheers

Agree! The Catapult embodies these technologies into the instrument of war that changed the world. When I was writing this I was thinking of the cow being hurled at the Castle in Holy Grail. If it were a fulcrum and lever, the cow would have only teetered :)

The bow and arrow probably had more effect on the world than the catapult did... and it predates the catapult also. The bow and arrow was the first ranged weapon that almost anyone could use, and was deadly at distances far beyond the spear. It was also capable of penetration on most primitive armor... which is why plate armor was invented.

Last edited:

This was the photo out of the camera. I was using a 18mm prime lens. Had I zoomed out (backed up) all the potential romance would have been ruined. You would have seen that this gorgeous locomotive and private pullman car sits ignobly in the back parking of an industrial building in Sylmar, California. At least the crop allows for some suspension of disbelief :)

That was a wise choice! Such a magnificent machine sitting in a parking lot would not have looked very good at all.

Yes. The lever makes continents, the locomotive stole them.

I love loco's also, but I like the grimmy backwoods loco's used in logging.
I guess if he includes the whole engine, it gets too busy and it becomes a...wait for it.... snapshot. I don't know, I just heard that somewhere. :taped sh:

Let's not forget the wheel - especially since that baby has a few of them.

I love loco's also, but I like the grimmy backwoods loco's used in logging.
I guess if he includes the whole engine, it gets too busy and it becomes a...wait for it.... snapshot. I don't know, I just heard that somewhere. :taped sh:

Makes sense; I was thinking more of a shot low down near the cylinders showing the motion and such as the prime focus, but this works.

Cheers

Actually, the fulcrum and lever LITERALLY builds continents; you know tectonic plate style.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back