This might be an awfully obvious question but bare with me...

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
... Im extremely over tired. :er:

Can you get adaptors for a sony lens to work on a Nikon body?

I want to use my Sony 18-55 on my Nikon body. I thought you could pick up adaptors to do this simply, but having a look on Trade me i cant seem to find anything? And like eBay - If its not there it probably doesnt exist! I have a feeling im not searching for the name of it...
Someone enlighten me? Its frustrating me...

try here FotoDiox. com

I think there are Maxxum (Sony) to Nikon lens mount adapters ... very rare.
Also the image quality would not be so good.

Why do you want to do this ?

Likely but you won't get infinity focus, or at least that's the way it works with every other brand lens I've heard of.
You have to find an adapter with glass, then infinity is retained.

I had the opposite issue, I have a Nikon lens and recently purchased an adapter (with glass) for my Sony Alpha.
eBay, sounds cheap but it works.

Objectives are designed for a specific register distance, i.e., the expected distance between lens and sensor/film (which is a fixed property of the body). If register distance of the lens is greater than register distance of the body, there is room for a plain adapter, which does not modify the lens quality, being only a ring with two different bayonets/screws. The reverse in principle is not possible without loosing infinity focus, although there exist adapters with a lens inside that allow it, but slightly modify focal length and degrade quality.
Nikon register distance is higher than Sony, so you cannot without a lens. However, since you are trying to reuse a kit zoom, it does not make much sense to further degrade quality. Better to sell it and buy its Nikon equivalent, it is likely you will spend less than an adapter.

Ah, of course when adapting you loose every automatism, so you will loose autofocus and also automatic aperture - if your zoom as an aperture ring to set it up manually, ok, but most likely you will have to shoot wide open only.

^^ correct, I also forgot to mention the Nikon lens I have is manual aperture and manual focus

by the way, in your case register distance would allow a plain adapter, but small mount diameter does not allow the lens to "enter", so there is still need for an intermediate lens. From the point of view of conversion, Canon and mirrorless bodies are the easiest options.

AHh okay sounds alot easier to just get the Nikon version I think - I thought it would be easier and money saving to get some sort of adaptor but sounds other wise. If functionality becomes an issue then, yeah ill defiantly just get a new lens, Thanks guys!

Related question: It seems that getting decent adaptors for any Nikon body is a pain in the ass. Is this the case for all other bodies? Or is it just the misfortune that I was drawn in by Nikon's high ISO performance bodies? I heard there are some decent Nikon lens to Canon body adaptors, is this true?

I
asked a local Camera shop about Adaptors like this the other day. It appears
that "authorized dealers" of name brands are discouraged from selling
them. The manufactures want the customers to buy their own lenses.

I
asked a local Camera shop about Adaptors like this the other day. It appears
that "authorized dealers" of name brands are discouraged from selling
them. The manufactures want the customers to buy their own lenses.
Yeah sounds about right ae - Im looking at getting the 18-105mm seems like a handy lens to have

Related question: It seems that getting decent adaptors for any Nikon body is a pain in the ass. Is this the case for all other bodies? Or is it just the misfortune that I was drawn in by Nikon's high ISO performance bodies? I heard there are some decent Nikon lens to Canon body adaptors, is this true?

Canon: easy, Nikon: difficult. If you read again my previous posts, you also will discover why ;)

Most reactions

Back