This mornings Osprey

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I gave you a break from my Ospreys but I had too much fun this morning. Comments welcome, and I added a few side notes...

1 - If this is all you see in your viewfinder, it is time to back up quickly... It's a little soft because I panicked a bit trying to back up in the marsh

Osprey - Oops too close to the nest by krisinct, on Flickr

2- She was not too happy with me..

Osprey glare 5/1 by krisinct, on Flickr

3 - She did settle down after a few steps back..

Osprey cruizin' by krisinct, on Flickr

4 I just love these mid-air poses

Osprey hovering 3 5/1 by krisinct, on Flickr

5 This shot is too soft, but I really liked the reflection. A perfect version of this is part of my quest this year

Osprey Impact with reflection by krisinct, on Flickr

6 I don't know I just liked this shot even though he missed and it's back-lit..

Osprey miss 5/1 by krisinct, on Flickr

nice! what lens were these shot with? I enjoy photographing wildlife. Despite being limited with my 70-200 f/2.8.
You should be grateful you have such a diverse range of birds in your Country to photograph too.

OK, I refuse to give up, so I need some help. to get these in flight shots, how do you set up camera and lens - auto focus modes, metering mode etc. what shutterspeed do you deem acceptable to stop motion etc.
I was out a couple days ago trying to capture eagles in flight and almost all were a dismal failure mostly oof or motion blur. I set ISO to 400 and aperture to f8 in aperture priority for shutterspeed varying between 1/500 to 1/800 AF to continuous and dynamic area using all 51 focus points.where did i go wrong?
Oh, camera and lens are D300s and Sigma 150-500.

Last edited:
Let's see, for flight I have been shooting a minimum of 1/1250. I shoot center point only with lock on set to long. I always shoot in AFC with back button focus. I've been shooting in manual mode with auto Iso set to max of 400. F stop between 7.1 and 8. If your are struggling to get sharpness set af-c priority to focus instead of focus and release. You will get less shots and it is frustrating sometimes when the camera won't lock. I use metering to control the Iso to a certain degree.. hope that helps :)

nice! what lens were these shot with? I enjoy photographing wildlife. Despite being limited with my 70-200 f/2.8.
You should be grateful you have such a diverse range of birds in your Country to photograph too.
Lol, look at my signature:)..
BTW Baturn I shoot a D300 so the settings should work for you if you have enough light. I don't mind shooting a little underexposed and bringing it up in post...

Thanks much. Will try next time out. I am very impressed by the shots with the bird coming right at you. All very well done.

Thanks much. Will try next time out. I am very impressed by the shots with the bird coming right at you. All very well done.
Lol, I am too, not that they are perfectly sharp but I was moving backwards pretty quickly trying to keep the bird in the frame :). if you don't use back button focus you should really give it a try it gives much more control over the AF system...

LOVE your shots, as always.

Nice shots as always... Questions, when you are out shooting Ospreys... do you know the exact location where they will be and the area they will be fishing? Just sit and wait? How long do you have to wait in general for shots like these?

I'd love to find some locations in Southern California to shoot Ospreys...

Nice. Got to love it when they stare you down. I swear once they make a catch they fly over me and showoff.

I have become somewhat of an Osprey biologist, so yes, I know where they will be, when they will be fishing and where I should locate myself based on wind, tide and sun position. I generally only have an hour or so in the morning before I have to go to work... The close ones are from a nest that has easy access and I can get about 60 feet from, at 59 feet shots 1 and 2 happen, lol. as far as finding them, you should try ebird.. I can't get the link to load right now for some reason. I will share it later, but you enter the bird your looking for and it will show all the sightings in your area...

Nice shots as always... Questions, when you are out shooting Ospreys... do you know the exact location where they will be and the area they will be fishing? Just sit and wait? How long do you have to wait in general for shots like these?

I'd love to find some locations in Southern California to shoot Ospreys...

I really need to learn how to focus on birds in flight. You make it look easy! Awesome pics!

Most reactions

Back