this polarizer OK? slim on kit lens

NikonNewb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
is this polarizer ok to use on a kit lens (18-55mm)?
B + W 52mm Circular Polarizer Wide Angle Slim Mount Coated Glass Filter

Thin construction with ultra thin optical glass. Used to prevent vignetting with today's larger wide angle lenses.

I wouldn't recommend using a thin polarizer unless you are using an ultra wide angle lens. Since you are on crop frame the kit lens isn't ultra wide. So you can use a regular polarizer which is cheaper than the thin ones. The other bad party about the thin ones is that you cannot put a lens cap on them... the regular ones you can. Hope this helps

I wouldn't recommend using a thin polarizer unless you are using an ultra wide angle lens. Since you are on crop frame the kit lens isn't ultra wide. So you can use a regular polarizer which is cheaper than the thin ones. The other bad party about the thin ones is that you cannot put a lens cap on them... the regular ones you can. Hope this helps

On the other hand, his kit lens is a crop-lens.

However, I agree with your other points.

Another vote for a standard CPL. Unless you've got a UWA lens (10-12mm) don't bother with a thin one.

Good choice with the B+W, just make sure it's a multi-coated.

actually i wanted to go with the Hoya HMC, it's the same price.
then there is the standard Hoya i could pick up for $20, but it's not multi coated, so.....

actually i wanted to go with the Hoya HMC, it's the same price.
then there is the standard Hoya i could pick up for $20, but it's not multi coated, so.....

Hoya is another respected brand. In either case, do get the multicoated version. It does make a difference.

Most reactions

Back