This really bothers me. US online shops

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is really something wrong with the way US runs its commerce. I am getting ready to buy a 5D II. They have local stores here in my area and they sell it for $2499. If I buy it from there then i have to pay tax. But if I buy it from a store in NJ, it is the same price, I dont have to pay for tax, and the shipping is free. I am not trying to cheat uncle Sam, but I feel like the only winner here is USPS, fedex, or UPS. People will buy from out of state and use shipping service instead of just drive somewhere and buy it locally and pay tax. Why cant they just tax everything including online sales from out of state? That way it is no brainer and just buy it locally. Such a waste of money for shipping service where it could have gone to the government. Thoughts?

The real winners are the online retailers and the consumers.

But people from out of state can buy the camera from the store in my area and dont have to pay tax. Mike's Camera in Colorado is an online retailer too.

I've run into this same problem, but I don't feel bad about the money going to UPS instead of the government, I feel bad about the money going to giganticcamerashop.com instead of the local guys who are actually busting ass to get by. I was in New York recently at a camera shop holding a lens in my hand, but I couldn't justify buying it when I knew I could wait until I got back to Vermont and mail order it for $65 less... it's sort of unfortunate. I do understand why tax laws are the way they are though, there's no real easy solution to this I don't think. If you tax all online orders, it would have to be federally overseen, in that case, which state benefits?

Different states have different tax laws. New York, for instance, requires an online retailer to collect sales tax if they have any presence within the state. Amazon tried to contest this legally, and lost - so if you live in New York and buy something from Amazon, you have to pay sales tax.

Here in California they're trying to pass something similar (they tried once before but the Governator terminated it), and a few other states are working on it too. To me it's more indicative that the government is really lagging behind this whole "internet thing" and it has nothing to do with not wanting the revenue.

I know here in PA I keep hearing a radio add for a lobbiest group that is trying for a law or something similiar to what NY has, the radio add states that as the consumer if you purchase a product online from a site like Amazon, then it's your responsibility to send the tax on the purchase to the state of PA...yeah, I'll get right on that! I don't know if that is true here, nor do I care enough to find out, but thats what the add says.

"Such a waste of money for shipping service where it could have gone to the government. Thoughts?"

My thought is: at least 2/3 of any money given to the government is wasted!

But you're not shortchanging Uncle Sam - as others have pointed out, sales taxes are state taxes. It would be a horrrible administrative burden if companies had to collect taxes based on 50 sets of constantly-changing tax laws.

yeah i understand. It is just frustrating I have to buy it from NJ when there is one sitting a few miles from me but it will cost me $175 more.

When you live in canada and that most of the retail stuff is about 20% more. rather order it from the states and pay a shipping fees with not alot of taxes than paying the extra 20% + 15% sale taxes.

Ive ordered alot of stuff from BH and saved a **** tons of money. :D:D

yeah i understand. It is just frustrating I have to buy it from NJ when there is one sitting a few miles from me but it will cost me $175 more.

Think of the extra money being a tax on immediate gratification. ;)

Tyler is right, that extra $175 is just what it costs you to have it right now!

My parents live in Asia and they are about to come and visit me in August. a 5DII there is about $2200 brand new hahaha. So I can wait more than 1 month and save $475 vs buying it from a local store.

Order it from a vendor in Oregon. I'm pretty sure there's no sales tax there. And there's at least one other state too where there is NO sales tax on hard goods...cannot recall which one though...New Hampshire seems to sort of be popping up in my memory, but that could easily be due to faulty recall...

In my experience , if I order something from a company who does business in my state, I get charged sales tax, regardless of the shipping point. For example; Bestbuy, Fry"s, etc.

.... But if I buy it from a store in NJ, it is the same price, I dont have to pay for tax, and the shipping is free. I am not trying to cheat uncle Sam...
Don't worry about Uncle Sam (the feds) because those are state sales taxes, not federal taxes. NJ can't tax you because their tax laws don't apply to you there in Colorado.

I guess you're not aware of Colorado's Use Tax: Department of Revenue - Taxation:Consumer Use Tax

Most reactions

New Topics

Back