This site is falling apart..

It doesnt mean someone says something about you pictures that you have to take it seriously.
Ive seen some people post comments and critique on some stobist/lightning work and they never had their hands on a strobe
People who comments on wedding pictures being bad but never did a wedding or worked under pressure before and wont take everything into consideration before saying "this is bad"

Most of critique and comments come from personnal preferences and not from a proffessional point of view. Some people will like some stuff that other wont like.

there is a handfull of exceptional photographer on this site who know thier stuff.

Last edited:
I am an amateur :meh: but willing to learn and get new ideas or may I say take note of constructive criticism..... I am in the forum for less than a month and I know by myself that this is a public forum and everybody can post whatever they want to post. Just being sad with some post I read :(..... those who are giving bad comments (all they will give are negative, never "for" an improvement on your work) are those newbies also and those pro's who have superiority attitude. Since this is a PUBLIC FORUM, we must learn how to tolerate and filter comments and must keep in mind that WE MUST LOVE WHAT WE DO and for dedicated/passionate amateurs like me WE HAVE A LONG WAY JOURNEY and THERE IS ALWAYS an IMPROVEMENT if we love what we do ;)

exactly and instead new comers (NOT ALL) give stupid/mean comments instead of good CC.

I am an amateur :meh: but willing to learn and get new ideas or may I say take note of constructive criticism..... I am in the forum for less than a month and I know by myself that this is a public forum and everybody can post whatever they want to post. Just being sad with some post I read :(..... those who are giving bad comments (all they will give are negative, never "for" an improvement on your work) are those newbies also and those pro's who have superiority attitude. Since this is a PUBLIC FORUM, we must learn how to tolerate and filter comments and must keep in mind that WE MUST LOVE WHAT WE DO and for dedicated/passionate amateurs like me WE HAVE A LONG WAY JOURNEY and THERE IS ALWAYS an IMPROVEMENT if we love what we do ;)

exactly and instead new comers (NOT ALL) give stupid/mean comments instead of good CC.

I've been on this site for a few years I think, and to be honest - that's the way it goes. Since I have been here there has been stuff like that, but sprinkled in there were always a couple of really good ones (who weren't jerks about it). Ironically, over the years I have also seen the multitude of "noobs giving bad cc!" posts.

I'll agree that the owners and mods have lost interest and caring for the site, but to be honest - the cc seems the way it always has. Too many people wanting cc on their own photos without offering it to others.

the cc seems the way it always has. Too many people wanting cc on their own photos without offering it to others.

I would agree with that - I've seen a lot of people asking but not giving. Worst two things with that I find are:

1) Most ask without posting anything but the photos - an act I find a little obtuse in some ways but also foolish because they fail to put up any details either techincal or artistic leaving the comments they can get limited in how constructive they can be for that person

2) Giving C&C is also a great way to learn- but asking and not giving they are cutting themselves out of a great learning curve and tool. There is a reason art, music, writing etc... groups have group critique and exchanges and its because you can learn from the act of being critical over another work

One thing I learned is a bad forum is better than no forum. If I had to learn this by going out into the real world and dealing with people in person then I would learn only a fraction of what little I know already. You just can't walk out your house and chat with a guy who shoots macros in England. No matter the ups and downs of this or other forums you have to be in awe of possibilities that the internet world brings into our homes. They gave Al Gore the peace prize for the wrong thing! ( just joking about Al lol ).

As far as gripes about C & Cs, I've gotta say... it's tough sometimes.

Probably 50% of the C & C's I open aren't bad photographs, technically speaking... neither do I consider them good, though. The technical proficiency may be there, but I find the subject matter to simply be rather boring. There's no real critique to make in that case because it's not bad for any technical reasons, really. There aren't many ways to really make it better without me saying," Take pictures of stuff more interesting.... these are putting me to sleep." That's the truth, but it's not constructive or even all that helpful. And, hey, who says that the measure of what is or isn't interesting begins and ends with me, you know?

I have that reaction on many of the C/C threads I open... and those are cases in which I don't reply. I have a feeling that this is the same for many other forum members, too. The C/C threads that seem to ramp up many views but get no comments... you can likely bet this is why. The photos aren't technically all that flawed (usually), but they just lack any real appeal whatsoever... they don't interest people, and so people don't feel compelled to add their two cents about how they could be improved.

Being able to self-critique is a HUGE part of growing in the craft of photography... as in most other artistic crafts. People need to at least be able to "self-filter" to some degree. Sure, many individuals are very new to the craft (days or weeks, sometimes)... but we all look at photography all day long in magazines, newspapers, advertising, etc, etc. Many people here that might give C/Cs expect at least some rudimentary ability on the part of the posters to honestly ask themselves "Is this really a good photo, at all?" and "Is this even worth posting?"

One thing that I've notice in my own work and could apply to others' is foresight and planning.

I've done an extensive amount of 3d modeling primarily in Maya and when I sit down to model an object or scene its important to have, in my head, the finished product and then create it. Often times in photography I lose this, though I'm not sure why.

Its important that when you compose a shot and release the shutter, you've put in the foresight and planning into the shot. Most of the time I'll take a photography then look at it and think, what is it about what I saw in the viewfinder that led me to capture it.. to often I don't know.

This is something that really shows in the photographs people post, and when that is very obviously lacking it makes it much more difficult to C&C outside of technical parameters. When a shot shows thought, a purpose and a goal this makes the viewer and commenter much more capable of evaluating the product.

When posting for C&C, I do my best to provide the thought process and goal so others can see if and by how much I've missed the mark, both technically and artistically. I think if more posters brought some more background behind the shutter click others would be able to C&C in a much more substantial manner. Often times people seem like they take a picture, don't know why or what they like about it, then they post it asking for others to tell them what's good about it; what makes them like it.

Personally I think as I obtain a better understanding of exposure and composition, I slowly gain this ability to see what I want and then achieve it.

Well hell I havent been here for quite awhile and, I see this type of thread is up again. It seems to pop up quite often. As far as C&C it seems many arent looking for that, what they are looking for is the atta boy! thing. If you give something constructive with tips many people percieve that as mean. Generally I dont look for C&C but, only post what I am half satisfied with. Which I rarely post photos anyhow, that is just me and Im a picky bastard about my own work.

Yeah - I never post anything that I'm not happy with. There are only two reasons I post pictures -

1- Hey, look at this cool picture I got! Yea!

2- I think this is pretty good, but there might be room for improvement. What do you think? What should I do differently next time?

80% of this site must have went out, bought a slr, and came on here and said hey ''im bob the Professional photographer''

You know, the same could be said about those who own computers. :lol: You know those who use their computer for the handful of things that they either do for work or do at home.

80% of this world must have went out, bought a computer, and got on line saying hey ''I'm Bob, I no how to use computers.''

But do they use their computers in "Manual" mode? I mean really, think about it. All these people who buy computers and then, GASP, have to turn right around and by software for them as well in order to make them do anything. <shakes head> That is not to say that software is not needed, but it is the point and shoot in comparison.

But... If your not proficient in a programming language and making your own software to use on your computer that does not mean you can't make a living using a computer. In fact you can be darn good at it even though you use software made by someone else. You can even be a professional using a computer to a fraction of its potential.

Just think about that a little bit.

This is a place to learn from others regardless of the level they are at AND regardless of the level those that post help are at. I would say I guess if any of us can't deal with those terms there is not really anyone holding a gun to our skull making our decision to stay for us.

You have to take the good with the bad, I see more good then bad and that is why I am still here.

Just my opinion.

Yeah - I never post anything that I'm not happy with. There are only two reasons I post pictures -

1- Hey, look at this cool picture I got! Yea!

2- I think this is pretty good, but there might be room for improvement. What do you think? What should I do differently next time?

Exactly! Newbies like me will love our own work but then we need some eyes to watch and look at our work so that we can get advices on how can we improve it ;).

(Negatice CC's comes from newbies also and "some" of those pro's who have superiority attitude) Newbies must know how to filter comments and apply those helpful comments.

As far as gripes about C & Cs, I've gotta say... it's tough sometimes.

Probably 50% of the C & C's I open aren't bad photographs, technically speaking... neither do I consider them good, though. The technical proficiency may be there, but I find the subject matter to simply be rather boring. There's no real critique to make in that case because it's not bad for any technical reasons, really. There aren't many ways to really make it better without me saying," Take pictures of stuff more interesting.... these are putting me to sleep." That's the truth, but it's not constructive or even all that helpful. And, hey, who says that the measure of what is or isn't interesting begins and ends with me, you know?

I have that reaction on many of the C/C threads I open... and those are cases in which I don't reply. I have a feeling that this is the same for many other forum members, too. The C/C threads that seem to ramp up many views but get no comments... you can likely bet this is why. The photos aren't technically all that flawed (usually), but they just lack any real appeal whatsoever... they don't interest people, and so people don't feel compelled to add their two cents about how they could be improved.

Being able to self-critique is a HUGE part of growing in the craft of photography... as in most other artistic crafts. People need to at least be able to "self-filter" to some degree. Sure, many individuals are very new to the craft (days or weeks, sometimes)... but we all look at photography all day long in magazines, newspapers, advertising, etc, etc. Many people here that might give C/Cs expect at least some rudimentary ability on the part of the posters to honestly ask themselves "Is this really a good photo, at all?" and "Is this even worth posting?"

Just another thought: a way to illustrate my last point.

Everyone here has inevitably seen American Idol at some point in the past few years.... even if you can't stand the show, chances are you've still managed to be sucked into seeing an episode or at least a clip or two of it... whether on TV or YouTube or the news, or whatever.

Anyhow, you know those people that Simon is so famous for crapping all over? You know why? Because they were literally so terrible that they truly, truly, truly shouldn't have needed a panel of judges to tell them so.

I mean, everyone here... we are all reasonably intelligent people. We've got a clue or two. Now really... when you see people get onto American Idol and they are so bad that it is laughable... aren't you moved to say," Are you kidding me? Why are they even there?" Forget trying to be an "american idol"... they haven't even escalated to the level of a bad singer yet... what they do could barely even be passed off as singing, at all. They are so bad that even an experienced singer couldn't set them straight, or even begin to, without a bare minimum of a one month course concerning the absolute, bare-bones basics of voice and learning to listen to one's self.

Well, the same thing applies to many posts that ask for C&C. Sometimes viewers take a look at the pics and think," Seriously???? Are you really posting these for critique?"

Look, I'm not saying it happens all the time... I'm really not. I've posted my share of replies to C&C threads and been happy to do so in those situations... whether I was just sayin "Nice shots" or doing my best to constructively inform. But sometimes I open C&C threads and my reaction is no different than yours when a terrible singer at the American Idol try-outs belts out a blood-curdling cover of a Janet Jackson song that makes you want to shoot yourself. And here's the thing: Most people that watch American Idol aren't singers themselves (neither am I)... yet we can both sit there on the couch and say," R u f-ing kidding me?" It's not a superiority complex at work, guys! They really are verifiably terrible and anyone with half a brain can tell that. They are bad on such a fundamental level that a person with no experience whatsoever should be able to identify them as terrible. The same applies to soooo many photographs posted for C&C.

When you're at that level, you don't have to get a panel of forum reviewers to tell you that.... when we are talking about some of the most fundamental flaws of photography that can possibly exist... which anyone from me, to my point-and-shooting Mom, to my 90-year-old grandmother could tell just by looking at any given photograph that is set in front of them.

Yet, so often, when people post here for C&C... these very basic principles of a good photo -principles which we ought to be able to identify simply by looking at good photos in our everyday life- are somehow entirely ignored.

"What do you think of these?", the post asks. The bigger question I sometimes think to myself is," What do you think of these... honestly???"

So much of the ignored C&Cs are a result of posters not self-filtering their own work. That's what I'm really trying to articulate here.

So for all future members... before you post a C&C.... before you ask the forum "What do you think of these?"... ask yourself that question. See if, all by yourself, you're capable of generating enough critique to hit the drawing board and do better. You'd be amazed how little help you need from the forum... and how much attention you'll get with your C&C posts if you post material that really deserves a look... that really deserves someone's time and insight.

EDIT*****

And btw... if you ignore this advice and go posting a photographic version of William Hung's "She Bangs"... don't be surprised if some people can't resist giving a "Simon"-like response. Not that it's not mean... but honestly... just like Will Hung.... you should've seen it coming a mile away... in which case, you could've easily avoided the entire scenario.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back