This site is falling apart..

(is now wondering if I should be afraid to give advice and opinion to anyone, being new here 'n' all)

If you feel strongly that you know what you are talking about, then go for it.

Thats what I do.

If I dont feel that I know, then I wont even try.

I am an amateur :meh: but willing to learn and get new ideas or may I say take note of constructive criticism..... I am in the forum for less than a month and I know by myself that this is a public forum and everybody can post whatever they want to post. Just being sad with some post I read :(..... those who are giving bad comments (all they will give are negative, never "for" an improvement on your work) are those newbies also and those pro's who have superiority attitude. Since this is a PUBLIC FORUM, we must learn how to tolerate and filter comments and must keep in mind that WE MUST LOVE WHAT WE DO and for dedicated/passionate amateurs like me WE HAVE A LONG WAY JOURNEY and THERE IS ALWAYS an IMPROVEMENT if we love what we do ;)

90% of threads i open are snap shots my 10yr old brother could take at BEST.

But it is always nice when you find that 10% where it really is a great photo. There are some contributors on the site that really do have some talent. And hopefully other people can learn things off them. :D

90% of threads i open are snap shots my 10yr old brother could take at BEST.

But it is always nice when you find that 10% where it really is a great photo. There are some contributors on the site that really do have some talent. And hopefully other people can learn things off them. :D

Those 90% needs constructive criticism to motivate them/us in making our work better. Newbies post this snapshots to measure and evaluate their works because I myself will love my own shots but then we need opinion and comments from others to see what do we need to improve.

I feel glad that there are still 10% in the forum who gave motivation and advices to us newbies ;)

to all newbies like me |this is a public forum, know how to filter those negative comments and if you love, dedicated and passionate with photography.... IMPROVEMENT is always available in what we love to do!

Well...gonna add my two cents worth here too.
Surely there are a lot of people (not just in this forum, but in any) that believe just because they read an article online about something, that they are now the experts. Sadly - these people are not restricted to the virtual reality that is the internet, but do happen to walk around in real life as well (with the same opinion of themselves).

And yes, those of us that know a lot more about certain things should give constructive advice, should try to help those, that are learning along.
And I do hope, that those that are giving proper advice will continue to do so...

But overall I'd have to say, that this forum has kept itself well - considering some of the threads I have read in other forums, where you'd think your standing in kindergarden....
But yeah, just my two cents on this, can fully understand where the OP is coming from on this

The internet offers anonymity, while the world doesn't.

False. The world offers just as much anonymity as you chose to use on the internet. Is Dmitri your real name? It sure sounds like it could be a real name.

But if I come up to you in the street, introduce myself as Bob and tell you your photography sucks I still remain anonymous. You have as much chance of tracing me there as you do via my username here. Both are possible, yet both are under the guise of anonymity right now.

http://www.altogetherdigital.com/images/anon1.jpg Here's a good example of an anonymous internet group who have taken their fight to the real world and retained anonymity.

seriously it cracks me. up. its sad i have only been here a few yrs but my has there been changes. 80% of this site must have went out, bought a slr, and came on here and said hey ''im bob the Professional photographer'' i mean im by no means the GREATEST ever but seriously. 90% of threads i open are snap shots my 10yr old brother could take at BEST. and then these people are leaving mean degrading feedback to other new comers.. this whole site actually no this hole photography thing is going down hill is so saturated with wannabes and crap talkers it makes me sick..

after reading some feedback i will tell you this and please just listen

If you have a camera and like to take pictures TAKE THEM, take advice from those you trust, keep practicing, and dont go buying 100's of dollars in stuff until you learn your basics. cause the GOOD ADVICE here is surely disappearing.

i mean mods like cory, Lafoto,members like chiller, etc,etc have to hear where im coming from or maybe i just missed something well i was gone a few months. sorry for my rant but im honestly mind blown by some stuff on here now.

*Knock knock* Hello! Update!

This site was sold by the original owner to people who don't even know about photography and just wanted it as a revenue generator. They promised to be around and to interact with the people on the forum and I don't know if anyone's heard from them since that post...well that and them removing the glamour and nude forum because they thought it would offend new sources of revenue.

I really hope that nobody that I have interacted with has the impression from ME that I am anything but a photo hobbyist. I really enjoy photography. I enjoy it enough to dream that it was an atainable career.

I have posted a few photographs that I have taken which I thought were much better than ps snapshots; I am not saying my photographs are professional. The ONLY gripe I have with this forum is the lack of critique my photographs receive. I frequently see horrible photographs get pages of responses ;)

So where did the original owners go? Another forum?

He sold it.

I got that from the previous post, which is why I asked the question.

Did the original forum owners, who I gathered from the previous post were really into photography enough to start a forum, get out of photography on the Internet altogether? Or did they move on to another forum? Did they give up photography and move on to horseback riding or something?

We still have most of the original moderation team and afew of the site mods from the previous owner - the owner himself (Chase) sold the site and as I gather it pulled out of the internet online forum game - he had up till that point also been greatly preoccupied with other things and not been able to participate in the site that much.

As for the new owners its their site and they may do as they wish, even running it mostly as an ad revenue income, I've no problem with that aspect. The problem is their lack of connection and commitment to the members of the site itself and a lack of overall respect for those members. That coupled with a range of empty promises after their initial take over has bittered many of the older forum members against the site owners.

It's a sad situation that is hard to recover from - a prime example of this was that the "nude" art section of the site (which was removed without warning) was infact developing into a very interesting and informative section. Such actions deter members from helping to promote and support the site and its features because of the fact that the site owners might just kick the feet out from under them without warning nor reason.

Most reactions

Back