Thought you guys would enjoy this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a tip: stop defending a rediculous tip list.

Lists like this are designed to stir **** up.

Unless it's a factual list, nothing opinion based can be ranked and have more than two people agree upon it.

Here's a tip: Use spell check.

Please point out all of the "rediculous" [sic] things listed.

Thanks so much...

So now we're resorting to bashing people's spelling?

Why are you so butt hurt about the comments? Did you suggest the tips for the article?

Unless it's a factual list, nothing opinion based can be ranked and have more than two people agree upon it.

So then it's stupid to get upset about it, right?

Yup. It's just one person's opinion. I don't care you dislike everything I like, that's fine, but if your opinion is based on emotion and ignores facts, then we have an issue.

Last edited:

Here's a tip: Use spell check.

Please point out all of the "rediculous" [sic] things listed.

Thanks so much...

So now we're resorting to bashing people's spelling?

Why are you so butt hurt about the comments? Did you suggest the tips for the article?

What a stupid little comment.

I have no idea who this guy is. None. The first time I ever read his name was when I opened the link, and I'd say it's a fair bet that I'll never read his name again outside of this thread.

Instead of asking why I'm so offended (and I'm not), how about you explaining why is list is so ridiculous?

So then it's stupid to get upset about it, right?

Yup. It's just one person's opinion. I don't care you dislike everything I like, that's fine, but if your opinion is based on emotion and ignores facts, then we have an issue.

That's not making sense.

If I show you a yellow school bus, and you say "Well, in my opinion, it's blue", you're simply wrong.

Opinions are often based on emotion.

I'm just trying to figure out why so many people are having such a difficult time with the list. No one seems equipped to offer such an explanation, though, probably because they're just too busy whining...

I thought I would diculous once, but I had to rediculous to get it right.

That's not making sense.

If I show you a yellow school bus, and you say "Well, in my opinion, it's blue", you're simply wrong.

Opinions are often based on emotion.

I'm just trying to figure out why so many people are having such a difficult time with the list. No one seems equipped to offer such an explanation, though, probably because they're just too busy whining...

Well think more in relation with the list. If me and you made a top 10 list of our all time favorite rock bands we both have different lists. Now who's list is correct? Well since the stipulation of the list is "our favorite" they are both right, but if you were to make a top ten list based on the most album sales, you cannot refute hard numbers.

The original list is based on opinions that are not hard facts, thus it doesn't bother me.

People are having a hard time because it's based on one person's opinions and that is where the trouble is. If the list had been made up of absolutes like "always take off lens cap" or "make sure camera is on" then there would be no debate.

Because a tip list should be a list one can look at and remember a few tips in this case, on how to be better photographer.

A good tip is: never stop taking pictures, or always have your camera ready, or double-check spelling before posting online. Or to get even more technical something like: when flash shooting, you can increase the shutter speed to reduce the ambient light.

Those are tips.

1. Just because someone has an expensive camera doesn't mean that they're a good photographer.

Not a tip. This is a statement. This is not a helpful little hint. He's writing a tiplist, not a bunch of idioms under the pen name Silence Dogood.

2. Always shoot in RAW. Always.

I think we've already discussed this here. This isn't a great tip and it's #2 on her list; in most lists, we give more importance to the ones at the top. I've been shooting for years and years now and I've just started shooting RAW as I've started to get more serious about it. I would have not benefited from shooting RAW.

Also, I watched his video through the link, he was shooting film, so I'm pretty sure he was breaking his #2 rule.

A better tip would be: learn why shooting in RAW might be better for you.

3. Prime lenses help you learn to be a better photographer.

This doesn't bother me. For one they are better lenes, they force the photographer to move around to compose the shot, not just zoom in and zoom out.

4. Photo editing is an art in itself

Bravo. what a tip! Here's a tip for use guys photo editing: Stop doing HDR.

5. The rule of thirds works 99% of the time.

Actually, it works 100% of the time, unless the 1% is a margin of error if the photographer didn't quite apply the practice correctly. Using the rule of thirds doesn't mean your pictures will look good.
6. Macro photography isn't for everybody.

Great tip, *****.

7. UV filters work just as well as lens caps.

My lens caps didn't just smash and shatter all over the parking lot in hundreds of pieces. In fact, after impact, they work just fine.

8. Go outside & shoot photos rather than spending hours a day on photography forums.

Finally a tip. A cool, thanks. So what you are saying is, and ill quote myself here: never stop taking pictures

9. Capture the beauty in the mundane and you have a winning photograph.

Let me get on that. Is there a prize for winning?

10. Film isn't better than digital.

11. Digital isn't better than film.

Genius.

12. There is no "magic" camera or lens.

All this time...Look I understand her point here, but this isn't a point list. This is just #1 restated in a "clever" way to drive in the point; not tip.

13. Better lenses don't give you better photos.

Same reworded point as #1 and #12. However, he should be careful because of what he said in #3. I personally disagree with this "tip". And again, I understand what he's trying to convey, but the tip would be: Make use of the equipment you have, overcome the issues, master them, make them your *****. The lens shouldn't prevent a good photographer from composing and capturing a great image; however a better lens will give you better photos.

14. Spend less time looking at other people's work and more time shooting your own.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...One of the best ways an artist can learn how to be better is to mimic/copy the works of others. This is blasphemy and egregious. How about I give you guys a real tip: Go to workshops.

15. Don't take your DSLR to parties.

F*ck off.

Need I continue? I would love to comment on #72...

Last edited:
How old are you?

12?

Yes, I'm 12. In that short span of life I was somehow able to read, comprehend, and walk away from a "tip" list feeling like it was trash and had no dire need to foolishly defend it like it was the best tip list ever created and everyone who thought differently was wrong and should be somehow ashamed.

fwiw, I wrote my response to #6 assuming the list was penned by a woman; specifically the one in the photo above the list. With that being said, I would like to change my response to: nice tip, a**hole.

Honestly, I feel like those two responses equal in the offensiveness/brassiness/childness of tips offered.

Last edited:
21. Ditch the neck strap and get a handstrap.

Yes that makes sense for those of us who use two bodies or who might want some relief from holding the camera or might need both hands for something, including taking a pee.

27. Always underexpose by 2/3rds of a stop when shooting in broad daylight.

This makes no sense at all. In broad daylight, which I infer means 'sun up in the sky', the camera tries to make everything middle grey so that in situations where there is a lot of light - like any street scene- any shadows will be underexposed if you expose on what the meter says. So underexposing by 2/3 stop means that faces in the shadow or faces under hats or umbrellas will be driven even deeper in the shadow.

Last edited:
21. Ditch the neck strap and get a handstrap.

Yes that makes sense for those of us who use two bodies or who might want some releif from holding the camera or might need both hands for someting, including taking a pee.

27. Always underexpose by 2/3rds of a stop when shooting in broad daylight.

This makes no sense at all. In broad daylight, which I infer means 'sun up in the sky', the camera tries to make everything middle grey so that in situations where there is a lot of light - like any street scene- any shadows will be underexposed if you expose on what the meter says. So underexposing by 2/3 stop means that faces in the shadow or faces under hats or umbrellas will be driven even deeper in the shadow.

in before steve5d says you wrote this post with emotion and not objectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back