Thoughts on Canon EOS 50D

JasmineG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade to a better camera and was wonder what peoples thoughts were on the Canon 50D.
I'm looking to go professional (one day) and was thinking that the Canon 50D could be a great backup... I'm really not to sure what the pros are shooting with… any input would be great.

I very much like mine. It is well constructed and feels very "solid" in my hands. It takes nice pictures. And it has many, if not all, of the options/settings that you would want with a semi-pro offering.

The 60D is nice too I hear.. but it has a plastic body... I haven't held one... But I can't imagine it would feel as good as the metal construction of the 50D.

I was just debating on a new camera and went with a 7D ( should be here this week ). I considered the 50D because it came down in price a lot, but I really wanted the better focusing for sports and birding shots and the 100% viewfinder is nice too. Other than that I probably would have went with the 50D.

I very much like mine. It is well constructed and feels very "solid" in my hands. It takes nice pictures. And it has many, if not all, of the options/settings that you would want with a semi-pro offering.

The 60D is nice too I hear.. but it has a plastic body... I haven't held one... But I can't imagine it would feel as good as the metal construction of the 50D.

As far as I know the 60d isnt released in the US yet. Also from what I read, yes they dropped the magnesium alloy body and reeally geared it towards the rebel line. Kind of suprising since they have marketed their lines so that you could tell what "grade "the model was representing. Novice, Semipro, pro. 500D, 50D, 5D, 1D. I think the 60D was too close to the 7D so they sperated them...just a guess though. I have the 50 and I am happy with it. A good upgrade from the XSi that I now use as a backup. Next will be full frame for sure.

I was just debating on a new camera and went with a 7D ( should be here this week ). I considered the 50D because it came down in price a lot, but I really wanted the better focusing for sports and birding shots and the 100% viewfinder is nice too. Other than that I probably would have went with the 50D.

Time to update your signature then... Congrats on the new baby. :)

As for the OP.. what are you upgrading from? If you said it and I just missed it... I apologize.

I guess it depends what you shoot, and what you'll shoot when you go pro. I have a 50D and I love it. It's reliable and built like a tank. The 7D is faster and has better low-light focusing, noise reduction, and offers video.

The 5DMkII is full frame, so it can also provide lower noise images and richer color.

I get the sense that sports photographers and some wildlife photographers prefer the 7D, and the 50D is an excellent backup.

Photojournalists will often use the 50D or a 40D, but they wouldn't say no to a 7D.

Wedding photographers prefer the 5Dii. However, they often use the 5Dii for the ceremony and the 50D or a 7D for the reception (or as the backup).

Studio portrait photographers like the 5Dii, and then you would want a 5Di as a backup.

This being said, I know that there are scads of photographers in each discipline who have excellent results and preferences contrary to what I have outlined here. Nothing is hard and fast.

My 50D was my first dSLR and I love it.

I take that back, technically it was my 2nd. I bought an XSi and after owning it for a couple weeks I didn't like the way it felt in my hands (I'm 6'4" and have large hands). So I returned it for the 50D. I've been very pleased with it.

Of course, price will always be a factor, but I would seriously consider a 7D over a 50D. The advancement in technology is day and night.

I have no personal experience but I know a girl who shoots a 50D & has numerous bird pictures published in the magazine "Birds & Blooms". She hangs a 500mm out front often. She says the magazine is very particular so the quality must be there.

Most reactions

Back