Thoughts on D60 and D40x?

gamerz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am looking for a good DSLR so that I can (hopefully) improve my photography, and have more fun with it. I came across the D40 some time back, but after reading posts here, it doesn't seem like the best choice due to it being pretty limited, or so I have heard. Then, theres the D40x that I looked into, seems decent, but I wanted to know what thoughts you guys have on it. And then, theres the D60, which seems pretty gimmicky...

Thoughts and ideas? I will take other recommendations for a different SLR.

Pretty much all the limitations of the D40 apply to the D40x and D60. They have more similarities than differences. If you have ruled out the D40, then I can't imagine a reason to get either of them unless you're hung up on megapixels. As for other suggetions, really, look around. There is a ton of technical info here and elsewhere about every model available. Just out ofcuriosity, what about the D40 caused you to rule it out?

What exactly are these limitations that people are talking about?

As for the D40's limitations, they apply to the D40X and D60 (as RockDawg said) but they shouldn't be a problem for most people. There are plenty of AF-S lenses around and don't be scared of Sigma is you don't have money. Just a suggestion though - Buy a Pentax K100D at closeout prices right now. It costs less than the D40 but is better. But hurry, they are going out of stock fast. I just bought one day before yesterday and the store only had 2 left in stock and I took one of the 2.

What exactly are these limitations that people are talking about?

Just old photography buffs who are unhappy that their old non-AF-S lenses don't auto focus. The old lenses do work but don't autofocus and if you buy a new lens, get an AF-S. Simple.

The big beef with the lower end Nikon SLRs is the lens choices. I own a D40X and haven't encountered that problem yet. And yes, I'm also fairly new to the hobby, and very happy with my camera. But, everytime the thread comes up about this subject, I read about it. Just about anyone you talk to will tell you to go to the store and try them on for "feel". See how it feels in your hand and see if it feels comfortable. There's a lot about them in this forum and on other websites. Another website and fan of the D40 is here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm (If you'd like to read further)

So the only real downside to the D40 is that old non AF lenses will not autofocus on the D40??? Thats not bad at all...

Last question: Is the upgrade to a D40x worth it? Or should I save the $$$ and get the D40?

No offense, but if you don't know the differences between the D40 and the D40x, you need to do some more research. How can you make an educated decision when you don't know the differences between the models? Maybe it's just me, but IMO a $500+ purchase warrants spending a little time researching rather than relying on a couple posts to tell you which to buy.

Personslly, I own a D40 and like it but if I were buying my first DSLR right now I think I would go with a Pentax K100D. It can be had for ~$470.

The limitation of the D40/D40x/D60 is that it will only focus manually with non AF-S lenses. That means that if you want auto focus (which you will want) you need to either buy exclusively AF-S lenses which are more expensive than similar non AF-S models, or buy cheaper third party lenses with an ultrasonic motor (nothing wrong with them).

Just old photography buffs who are unhappy that their old non-AF-S lenses don't auto focus. The old lenses do work but don't autofocus and if you buy a new lens, get an AF-S. Simple.

Us old photography buffs don't even know what autofocus is! Hell, my first SLR was so basic, I had to manually stop down the lens each time that I took a picture.

Lol socrates.

Anyway, I recommend the D40 over the D40x. It costs less and megapixels don't make much of a difference. Judging from reviews, it appears that the D40 actually has slightly better IQ (less noise, MORE DETAIL!!) than the D40x.

Differences between the D40 and D40x: the D40x goes down to ISO 100, the D40's lowest is ISO 200, the D40x shoots at 3fps as opposed to 2.5, and it has 10MP as opposed to 6.

I don't think the lower ISO is that important, the 3 vs 2.5fps don't matter because both are still far too slow to capture any decent action/sports sequences, and 6MP is more than enough for me. The differences are minute and don't make much of a difference.

I would advise you to do what I did: get the D40. spend the money you saved on extra glass e.g. Nikon's 55-200 VR, which, together with the kit lens, will give you hefty zoom range of 18-200. That is assuming you want more zoom. You can spend the money saved on any glass/accessories you want, that was just an example. The D60 does seem like a bit of a gimmick, but the sensor cleaning could potentialy be useful.

Don't overlook the Canon system. 400D's should be going for pretty cheap now that they are being replaced. Go into a camera store and test/get a feel for all the beginner DSLRs. I found Nikon's to be more user-friendly. Chances are, the one that feels best will probably be the best for you.

gamerz: are you the gamerz that runs that web development site and does a bit of WordPress by any chance?

I have the D40x and I really like it. I don't mind spending a little bit more on the new lenses either. It's my first SLR camera purchase and I looked at a lot of models and did a lot of research before deciding on the D40x. I didn't like the Canon's, just not a good personal fit. I plan on upgrading in Nikon eventually and then using the D40x as a back-up. That way, all my lenses will be transferrable.

I personally would buy the D40 over the D40x. In fact, I did when I bought mine. Not only do I not CARE about the 4 megapixel difference, I would RATHER have the 6 because there is a lot less noise with the D40.

I have seen factory refurbs of the D40 for under $400 with lens. For that kind of money, they are worth it.

Having said that, many people who are serious about photography will soon outgrow the camera. On the bright side, if you pay less than $400 you can afford to.

Most reactions

Back