Thoughts on some changes to POTM

Ok so one of the biggest frustrations i have is the fact that all the images are hosted in various places. This makes them hard to put all in one thread as there is no direct way to control the size of the images.

My thought was to create a flicker account just for TPF POTM and upload all the nominees there and link via that. Obviously credit would be given and measure put into place to prevent stealing.

Thoughts?

I would never agree to have any image of mine put into a flicker account that I don't control.

I'll keep it simple, like deleting them after the contest is over.

Oh, I would have no problem with it, and I don't think you'd abuse anything. My thoughts on the user agreement were just so folks are aware of what could happen if they get nominated - trying to avoid a bunch of complaints about "taking my photos." There's already too much drama in the world.

This all seems pretty sketchy to me. I understand the meaning behind it, but I have to agree with @Light Guru . Not sure I am ok with people

How will those who do not want their images out of their control know where
Oh, I would have no problem with it, and I don't think you'd abuse anything. My thoughts on the user agreement were just so folks are aware of what could happen if they get nominated - trying to avoid a bunch of complaints about "taking my photos." There's already too much drama in the world.
Definitely agree. If people aren't aware that their image is going to be downloaded and uploaded onto a separate website, they may get a little flustered.

okay. I have a solution. Anytime you want to nominate a photo send the person a certified letter asking permission with a copyright usage statement specificying the purposes. Ask the person politely to sign the statement and return it along with a photo, again certified. ONce you receive your release and the photo then mail them certified to runnah.
p.o. box middle of know where maine
lost in the woods, tree county.
zip code 00-000000000000000000000-0

He will then bring your turned in statements and copyright agreements to the city attorney a hundred miles away who will decide if the photo of the month contest can go forward within 90 days.

The fee for being submitted and paying the costs of legal will be three hundred dollars. whoever owns the submitted photo pays the fee.
Once the photos are set to go forward the releases and photos will be sent in to the flikr legal team, which may allow the posting of them or may decide to ban runnah from flikr.

Unknown variables providing, I am all for doing this as a trial run if it helps runnah ease the process.

Whatever you decide, I hope it is not to post images to Flickr or any other image hosting site. I have spent a good deal of time looking at topics here for inspiration and enjoyment, only to be disappointed when seeing stuff like this:

photobucket-sucks.jpg

(mods: that's from my own website, don't delete it)

I'd like to see much less of that. I realize storage ain't cheap, but if you limit it to TPFs own contests and POTM, then many of the best images on this site will be a source of inspiration and enjoyment for many years to come.

Jim

I'd worry about the Terms of Agreement, which can change, of the image hosting site. They may still have some control over use of the photo after it's taken down. And the "sorry, image not available" message may become an ad some day. But some people would be OK with whatever risk that presents. Maybe you can just resize the images after the contest and keep them on this website.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back