Threads getting lost.

hobbes28 said:
This may seem a bit harsh but, if you want to talk politics, do a search on google for political talk forum and don't bring it up here.

So thats why its called The Photo Forum? Hehe...just thought it was coincidence :D

Artemis said:
So thats why its called The Photo Forum? Hehe...just thought it was coincidence :D
That's why I like it here.
To be honest I went through all the Political/Religious rhubarb in my youth and eventually realised that having mass 'debates' on these subjects achieves nothing except to cause animosity and loss of friends.
Photography doesn't have a Religion* and it doesn't need Politics - we should just talk the International language of the image.

*Not strictly true. Photography is a Religion :lol:

What would be the "God" of said religion?

Light? That would make sense eh?

I can't believe that name isn't taken :shock:

i dont know what this whole debate is about, really. you guys are fixing to wear out your welcome. tpf is awesome, and many of you take it for this online playground where you can do whatever you want. not so. We could be a strictly photography only forum, and not even have an off-topic discussion section. but we do have one, so use it how it was made to be used. some have said that our forum just doesnt have the depth to be able to handle debates, and many other forums do it all the time, and they arent hurt by it. I have (and am) part of a few forums where debating is a main part of the whole 'forum society'. I have even seen instances where people will be really nice to each other, then get into a stupid debate and later be totally rude to each other in every thread the other person ever posts. This doesnt always happen of course, but alot of debating in a place like this often just causes confusion and 'communal dismemberment', where the sense of community and friendship is totally lost, and it's some barbaric online fighting ring, where the only times people are nice to each other are in cliques or when they gang up against other members in debates. I say yay mods for putting this up.

Thank you for your support Daniel, it means a lot. That exactally what we try to avoid here, and normally it isn't an issue.

thebeginning said:
i dont know what this whole debate is about, really. you guys are fixing to wear out your welcome. tpf is awesome, and many of you take it for this online playground where you can do whatever you want. not so. We could be a strictly photography only forum, and not even have an off-topic discussion section. but we do have one, so use it how it was made to be used. some have said that our forum just doesnt have the depth to be able to handle debates, and many other forums do it all the time, and they arent hurt by it. I have (and am) part of a few forums where debating is a main part of the whole 'forum society'. I have even seen instances where people will be really nice to each other, then get into a stupid debate and later be totally rude to each other in every thread the other person ever posts. This doesnt always happen of course, but alot of debating in a place like this often just causes confusion and 'communal dismemberment', where the sense of community and friendship is totally lost, and it's some barbaric online fighting ring, where the only times people are nice to each other are in cliques or when they gang up against other members in debates. I say yay mods for putting this up.
Well stated. :thumbup: To echo Alison, we do appreciate the support. :)

great way to put it daniel. thanks for being part of the team.

arty, if you are confused about rules and guidelines, please PM one of the mods or admins.

Not confused by them, more worried by them.

Im not unsuporting the forum, rest assured Ive seen millions of forums...and this part, where all the rules and that start comming in, is always the bit before the place disapears...

No need to have this happen here, Arty. I don't see this happen!
This board has a strong group of mods ... and as long as a board generally sticks to what it is, like, e.g. a Photography Forum (now, how did THIS example spring to mind... I wonder! ;)), where even room is given for "just showing" and "give me critique", and more room for "Off Topic" discussion, things should work themselves out in the course of time. And they should do so in a way that in the end the board or forum is still there!

There's another forum that I go to, which is an author's fanboard, and at quite regular intervalls we go through rougher patches there, too. But that board is quite strictly administered and moderated, too, so all in all nothing happens. The author who runs her own discussion forum sometimes threatens to shut the whole thing down, for it is hers, and she owns it and pays for it, but after 5 years it is still there. :) Meanwhile, however, things political, religious or cultur-related are not to be discussed, other than that people may state their opinion for once and that is it. We are all entitled to opinions, of course, but there is no derision, name-calling, persuasion, preaching. Easily observed - plenty of debate forums to be found in the World Wide Web.

Mods: keep up the good work :)

Most reactions

Back