Through the Looking Glass

It may be that I'm inherently picky, but the Framing of the window is bothering me. I think I'd like to see it straighter with the window edges, or perhaps just a different composition. Also, the poles hanging from the window are quite distracting when you have such a bright area outside the window. I definitely see your concept, and there is potential there, but it needs a bit of refinement in my opinion. When dealing with so much contrast you really have to watch all the small details.

Hmm, too busy out of the window.
A different angle could have possibly removed most of that.

A lot of window shots are take at about 120 degrees ... kind of an almost side shot.

gives me an idea, so i'll watch the comments from others to fine tune it. This months task is to take a pic with theme "through the window" so I may try to do one of a person looking through a window...although others will probly as well...trying to come up with something unique.

Don't care for the pic much...not really sure why...I like the idea and theme...but I don't think the execution went off.

Fair enough....I definitely do agree that it could have been done better. but when you have a naggy gf who hates being directed and photographed, i take what i can get lol...

Yeah, mine won't get in the lens either, lol. Last time it was something about the shower and appropriate and all kinds of crazy words like that. :)

i havent even tried that erni lol. i might have to just sneak into it.....hmmm sounds like a photoproject. me suprising her and inappropriate times.

IMO, this shot needs some help with "range". Does your camera offer the option of bracketing? If so, you need to get the window in one exposure, (here the camera is exposing for the window) and one exposure for the shade (the model's near side). The two exposures are then combined to produce a higher dynamic range.

Yea, next time spend a few minutes moving the shade cords and rods, and make sure your photo frame is even with the window frame.

BTW: just tell her that if she won't help you, then you have no alternative but to hire a professional model. And therfore you will not be able to afford to take her out to dinner.

Gosh, I hope she doesn't read this.

My camera does offer me the option of bracketing. if im ever back at my friends house i'll def try to redo the shot.

and its def a good thing she doesnt read that lol. tho shes already said if i do ever end up shooting models, she has to be on hand.....to make sure i dont do anything. lol...bc we know how models can be....

My camera does offer me the option of bracketing. if im ever back at my friends house i'll def try to redo the shot.

and its def a good thing she doesnt read that lol. tho shes already said if i do ever end up shooting models, she has to be on hand.....to make sure i dont do anything. lol...bc we know how models can be....

I suggest that you find a window simiar to that one and just fool around with some still life photos. Set up something similar, and try using off-camera fill flash on very low power, or some other type of artificial lighting. Since you will be converting to monochrome, the color balance is not terribly important, IMO. The small aperture that you used keeps the outdoor objects in focus - not precisely of course, but in this "mood" shot, maybe that is not terribly important either.

My camera offers something called "D-lighting" which brackets for dimly-lit details. No, I have not tried it yet myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back