Time for a new camera bag

CxThree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Buying the 70-200mm F2.8 IS Canon L lens and I need to upgrade my bag situatuion. I want to get one to carr my laptop too. I have a 15 inch laptop but want to plan for a 17 inch.

I have looked at the

Lowepro Computrekker AW Plus
Lowevro Vertex 300
Tamrac Expedition 8

Anyone here using those or have advice on them?

I was in exactly your same situation. I have the 70-200 f/4L and wanted a nice messenger bag that it would fit in, with the hood on. Finally found the "7 million dollar home" bag... check it out in my signature. It's still on the way, but I did a TON of research into all types of bags that I could pack around town with me.

This bag looks nice, is supposed to accommodate my lens + hood attached to my XSi body. I'm not sure yet, since it doesn't show up for another week, but something for you to look into :)

I wish they'd make something like the Lowepro Cirrus that just held the camera w/ a big telephoto, that's what I need for backpacking :/ This one should do well for a walk-around bag though.

Good luck!

There is a significant size and weight difference between the 70-200 f/4L and 70-200 f/2.8L IS. It is hard to tell from pictures but I am not so sure the 70-200 f/2.8L will fit in the Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home (could they have used a longer name? :p )

I much prefer shoulder bags to that of backpacks. My Lowepro 400AW can pack the 70-200 f/2.8L quite easily and the D650AW is slightly larger with a compartment for a laptop.

I picked up the Tenba Large messenger bag. I looked at the crumpler 7million dollar home too, but the tenba bag has a zipper as well as the velcro flap so you can easily get the camera out when walking around if you don't want to open your bag up entirely.

I currently have a D200 with 70-200 F2.8 on the camera with a 12-24mm and 18-35mm lens in the bag, plus all the computer cables, charger, extra battery, memory cards and notebook in the bag, and I'm sure there is still enough room for the SB600 I'm looking at buying.

The best thing about the bag though, is that it doesn't look like a camera bag, and doesn't draw attention to it, until you take the camera out.

This is the one I got, but in burnt orange. Pretty much the same price as the crumpler. I got mine from Vistek in calgary (its only a 3 minute walk from my office).

http://www.tenba.com/products/Messenger-Large-Bag-[Engraveable].aspx

yeah i just saw the tenba video, MUCH better option for someone looking to fit all their junk AND a laptop inconspicuously. . . .and I like that zipper on top option, so you can take your camera out without un velcroing the entire thing and exposing your contents. . .that's why I originally got a Lowepro Toploader, but quickly ran out of room. . .

I know Tenba makes great stuff, their slingshot was on my list but I decided it looked to photobag like. . .

yeah i just saw the tenba video, MUCH better option for someone looking to fit all their junk AND a laptop inconspicuously. . . .and I like that zipper on top option, so you can take your camera out without un velcroing the entire thing and exposing your contents. . .that's why I originally got a Lowepro Toploader, but quickly ran out of room. . .

I know Tenba makes great stuff, their slingshot was on my list but I decided it looked to photobag like. . .

I spent a lot of time looking at bags, and seem to have gone through a bunch. My wife was bugging me about it and said I was spending too much time looking at bags and it reminded me of women looking at purses/handbags. :er:

I also have a Tamrac sling bag that I picked up in san fran that wasn't bad, but I found the strap to be too short and it was difficult to rotate the bag around my body to get the camera out. I also really liked the national geographic bags too since they have a very rugged look to them... but couldn't justify the price.

I love the Tenba Messenger for travel -- but not so much for carry. It's small, relatively light, and inconspicuous, and the top-loading ability is great for pulling out your laptop at security. And boy is it ever padded.

But my one problem with it is all the padding on the back. Between the insert (padded on all sides), the laptop sleeve (padded on both sides), and a thick hip pad, there's a good two-three inches of padding between the gear and my hip. And, hey, no chance of damaging anything...but at the same time, that padding takes up a lot of room (so that the bag feels smaller than it is), and it causes it to be more rigid than I'd like.

So the Tenba has become my "travel" bag -- when I walk around, I usually use something simpler (often just a bag from an army-navy store) with the Tenba insert inside it.

I really want to stick with a backpack.

Anyone use either of the ones I mentioned? It looks like the Vertex may be a newer version of the computrekker?

Try the Tenba Sling Bag, it's a bag pack that switches over to shoulder bag. . .

I have the Expedition 8. I just recieved it 2 weeks ago. This is one nice and well built bag. It is a big bag though. I won't be using it as a backpack bag, more so as a vehicle travel bag that will hold my laptop, and all of my photo gear.
It will be on the heavy side fully loaded. It will hold my 50D 100-400L attached and 2 to 3 more lenses at the end of that lense, plus a lot more on the sides. The photo compartment is deep, so all but the longest zooms can be in a compartment on end instead of having to lay them down.
This bag to me is really too big for a daily walk around bag, but just right for me when traveling and needing to take all of my gear. It will take along time, and probably a divorce to out grow this bag. It is extremely well made, and very well padded.

I ordered the Expedition 6 to use as a daily bag. I'll see how that goes.

Good Luck!

expedition 8 huh? that thing must be a monster. i have an expedition 5 and i thought it was huge. only accommodates a 12" laptop though. my 13" XPS doesn't even come close to fitting however, so i don't see how a 12" would fit.

expedition 8 huh? that thing must be a monster. i have an expedition 5 and i thought it was huge. only accommodates a 12" laptop though. my 13" XPS doesn't even come close to fitting however, so i don't see how a 12" would fit.

Lol. Yea it's good sized to say the least. I got tired of carrying a big computer bag, and then the camara bag into hotels. Do it all in one I thought. Well it'll do it and more. This will fit a 17" laptop no problem. Now I am just hoping the the Expedition 6 will fit a 15" laptop. Tamrac says only a 14" but from reviews it will fit some 15.4's.

CxThree. You might also look at the Tamrac Cyberpack 6 or 8. They are a little cheaper in price, but from reviews they are very well liked. The laptop fits in the back on this backpack, instead of the front like the Expeditions.

I recently bought a Sigma 70-200 and wanted a new backpack bag. I tried the Tamrac Expedition 6, and everything fit ok with room to spare, but it's so damn huge from front to back.. It stuck out from my back really far and felt really top-heavy. I don't know if the 8 will feel top heavy since it's taller, but it will still stick out as much. It has a tripod strap, but the way it's set up is pretty much unusable for anything other than a small mini tripod, which is useless for a dslr. I wanted the for riding my bike, and it was obstructing my view when looking back for cars, so it was a danger as well.

So I took it back and got the Lowepro Fastpack 350. It's still kinda big, but the top is smaller than the bottom so it doesn't 'feel' as big when on. I can fit my D200+grip with 70-200 attached (or not), Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, sb-600 flash, d70 backup body, and a couple smaller lenses in the camera compartment. Then it's also got an upper compartment for other things like cables, snacks, small jacket, whatever you want. It's got a mesh pocket on the side for a water bottle or anything else that fits. Then for your laptop requirement, it's got a padded space for a 17". One cool feature is the camera sits sideways so you don't have to take the pack off to get it out. Just take off your right strap and swing it around. They have a video on the link above. Since all your heavy gear is at the bottom instead of top, the bag puts less strain on my back.

Not my pic, but here's what it looks like loaded with some stuff.
Lowepro Fastpack 350 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Most reactions

Back