Time for some new glass

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all I was just stopping by to ask a question before going off and buying some new glass with my Christmas money:mrgreen:
I was pretty set on buying a 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Zoom but now I discovered primes(Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D). So I have a Nikon D50 which by no means is a full fraimed sensor so if i got a 50mm prime would the pictures came out similar as far a zoom capibilities because I verry much like the f/1.8 on the primes but would like the zoom of a 200mm and they all fit into my price range. So what would you guys recomend?

The 50mm is a great lens and very fast, it is also very sharp. At some point I think everyone should have a 50mm Prime in thier bag. It has alot of great applications, but can be limiting depending on how you shoot.

If you do not shoot in low light and you want the range of the 200mm, go with that.
Of course if you can afford both, get both. The focal range would be similar, but the 50mm is much faster than the 55-200mm

It depends what you're going to bo shooting, if you're into wildlife or sports photogrpahy than you're going to want the 55-200 but if you're doing other things you might want the 50, it all really depends on what you're going to be taking pictures of.

yea i have found that i seem to always need more light and I dont like to pump my ISO more than 400 at most 800 and I probably will shoot out doors so I guess the 200 is the way to go then? Ill try to get both because i also shoot indoors b/c the last 2 days the prime would have been useful. So does some company make a telephoto with a low f stop like 2 or 3?

You can get very sharp images from either lens. I know because I have both. If you have plenty of light, the 55-200mm is quite good. Personally and with hindsight, you are better off with the 50mm unless you need the length. But if you're not likely to cough up $1700 to reach 200mm, it is still a good lens.

ha thanks yea ill probably go with the 50mm prime and use the extra money for a nice bag or something. And would anyone one know off hand the equivalent millimeters of the 55mm prime on my D50? couldn't find anything online

55 x 1.5 = 82.5

or are you trying to get to 55mm?

55 / 1.5 = 36.667

Most reactions

New Topics

Back