Time Lapse Movie - What Equipment shall I use?

timelapse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone

I started to make some time lapse movies on my Nikon D80. I am now a bit worried on the lifetime of the shutter since a time lapse movie needs a lot of pictures ... Has anyone of you an idea what equipment I could use in order to do time lapse movies without having to replace the shutter of a dslr all the time? I would like to shoot in HD quality.

I am happy for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Adrian

Don't worry so much about your shutter.

Err Mike that's easy enough to say but at 24 frames a second you wipe out the 50000 click shutter rating of the D80 in a little over 30min of movie time. Admittedly I think that the shutter will survive much longer if you continuously click it, a lot of mechanical contraptions do.

Shutters are repairable, but it comes down to just how much you will get into timelapse. If this is a small project don't worry about it. If you only want to ever shoot timelapses from now on you may be better suited to find a camera with no shutter, or a video camera that supports this function. Can't make any real recommendations though since I don't know enough about it.

Since i'm guessing this is going to be downsized to 1080, you can get something like a Nikon D2h for under $500, it shoots 8fps and I think the shutter's rated all the way up to something like 300,000 clicks.

Not to mention you'd have a baller sports camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back