Time To Buy A Camera

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I think I posted that in the wrong forum....or at least I might get more of a response here:)

Ive asked in the past about which camera to get but at that time I really had no way of getting the camera. Now I do. I could get a camera as early as tonight but if I have to I can wait. A moderate price savings really isnt going to make me wait though, so if I can get the same camera locally I will likely do that.

For a long time the Nikon D50 has been the camera that I have wanted. I now have the money to get this but since I do...I have started to look at other cameras. The D70 is only a couple hundred more but that might be a stretch. I can get the Olympus EVOLT E-500 for 769 with a 100 dollar rebate, which comes with 2 lenses. The D50 I found also comes with 2 lenses and a variety of other things.

I want something that will take me from a point and shoot photographer to something serious. I know that the camera will not give me great shots. I have to build the experience to do that. However, I want something that is going to get me to the point that I CAN take great shots.

Is the D50 a suitable camera? Is it so old that I should look at some of the newer cameras? If I had an 800 dollar price limit...what would you buy?

As I understand, the D50 is a plastic housing while the D70 is magnesium.

I'm not familiar with the other features. Check with Nikon.com.

I just looked at their comparison chart and I see very little difference between the D-50 and D-70. If the only HUGE difference is that the D-50 is plastic and the D-70 is magnesium....then I can live with that.

My only question now is for those that have used the D-50. Are you happy with it? When you use this camera do you wish you had something better or does it get the job done?

The D50 is actually newer than the D70. The housing is pretty tough although I do hear the D70 is a bit tougher. In terms of image quality the two cameras will produce the exact same photos. The D70 has two wheels one for aperature one for shutter speed while the D50 has one wheel that controls both, you just need to hold down another button while spinning the wheel to toggle between the two, it becomes second nature. Also the D50 is a bit smaller but it still has a solid size and weight to it. I would say if your debating between the d50 and d70 go with the D50 and save a couple bucks. I hear the olympus has a vibration feature which will clear dust from your sensor which is a great thing, especially if you do not have photoshop.
I have the D50 and am very satisfied. Like everyone says its not the camera thats makes the photo its the photographer. get the D-50 and spend your money on quality lenses. A couple years from now if you want more upgrade your body and you can still use your old lenses. I wish I had a D200 but that camera is in a totally different price range (1700 for the body alone). If you getthe D50 you will be completely satisfied. Spend you time thinking about where and what your going to shoot because the D50 will give you the results your looking for. You'll be amazed at the difference between the shots from your old Point and shoot compared to those of your DSLR.

Thanks.

This is what sucks about living in the area I do. We are about 2 hours from any sort of mall. The stores we have here (Staples, Wal-Mart, Costco) dont always have the stuff you really want so you cant always hold the camera in your hand. I just have to hope that they have it there, both because I want it today (im very impatient, but who isnt when they get a new camera) and because I want to hold the camera and see what I think.

Right now I would go with the D-50. I have thought of the Olympus EVOLT E-500 and will look at the Canon 350D. Since all have good qualities about them I guessd I will buy the one that feels right.

I have heard good stuff about Nikon, Canon and Olympus. Those are the only 3 companies that I would consider right now.

Unless the D-50 feels horrible when I take a look at it later this evening I think I am going to go with that camera. The only question is where to buy...

I can get it for 699 at Staples with the basic kit lens. That would be at my house on Monday.

I can get the same thing for 699 at Ritz camera online. I can also get the D-50, along with a Quantaray 28-90mm F/3.3-5.6 Lens, for 549 and then maybe look at a zoom lens from there.

What do you think the best deal would be? Is that Quantaray lens any good? I can get a Quantaray 70-300 mm lens from Ritz for 159.

D50 offered sound advice.....check with several online camera webs sites. Many have phone numbers and you may get a better deal on a direct line basis.

acsonpg said:
D50 offered sound advice.....check with several online camera webs sites. Many have phone numbers and you may get a better deal on a direct line basis.

Yes he did. My only problem now is deciding whether I want the kit lens or this other lens. I know the kit lenses arent top quality but I dont know anything about the Quantaray lens either.

i think think the d70 has a plastic body too

look into the Nikkon 18-70mm lens it will cost a bit more but is a nice lens. I got the D50 with the 18-70 and the 55-200 and I use both of them alot. Lookin back I would have just got the D50 and the 18-70 and Nikkons 80-400VR but the 80-400 is over $1000 so its a big expense but 200mm is not enough for me. I would love to be able to get closer to thigns such as birds and animals. I am thinking of getting sSgnma's 400mm but am not sure about the quality. I figure it is better to spend 400 more now than find out Sigma's 400 is not that good and have to buy the nikon later. Like I said before spend your money on lenses because they can always be reused on a better bodt where as a better body just costs more. I want two bodies anyway, one for telephoto and one for wide angle so once I go back to work ill just buy the D200 and the 80-440 VR and Ill be happy.

Well...I just picked up the Nikon D-50 from Wal-Mart. Probably not the best deal but I have it in my hands now and I am pretty excited. I had a chance to take 4-5 shots before the battery died though:(

Most reactions

Back