Time to upgrade from my phone camera, need help!

Dompi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm a beginner when it comes to cameras and until now I've never owned a real camera. I'm looking to spend around $700-900 and preferably I would want an additional lens.

I have looked on the following cameras:
Nikon D3100: Nikon D3100 14.2Megapixel DSLR Camera with 1855mm and 55200mm Lenses Black 13284 - Best Buy

Nikon D5100: Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera with 1855mm VR and 55200mm VR Lens Kit Black 13073 - Best Buy

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera with 1855mm IS Lens Black 5157B002 - Best Buy

Canon EOS Rebel T2i Canon EOS Rebel T2i Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Which camera would you recommend for a beginner based on price and performance? Any tips are welcome!!

Thanks,
/Dompi

I have the D5100 and I think it's a fantastic camera for a beginner to grow on and learn photography. I've had mine for a year and I think I'm ready to upgrade cause I'm out growing it. However it was a massive help on getting me to learn and know how to shoot on manual. That would be my recommendation.

I would either go with the Nikon D5100 or the Nikon D3200 with one kit lens the 18-105mm VR
Good all around lens and in the future instead of the 55-200mm I would get the 70-300mm VR which is a much better lens.

Of those 4 choices, I would have to say the D5100 and as stated, ask about getting further discount not getting the 55-200mm, but if they won't do that, then you can keep it for use while you are learning and then sell it when you decide to get better glass.

How come its unnecessary for me with a 55-200 mm lens?

No one is saying it's unnecessary. What goodguy said is that the 70-300 is a better lens.

Kit lenses by enlarge are a starter lens and are good to learn on, but a lot of people on here have made the upgrade to a higher quality of glass for various reasons.

How come its unnecessary for me with a 55-200 mm lens?

No one is saying it's unnecessary. What goodguy said is that the 70-300 is a better lens.

Kit lenses by enlarge are a starter lens and are good to learn on, but a lot of people on here have made the upgrade to a higher quality of glass for various reasons.
I think the 18-55mm VR is a fairly good lens but its zoom range is not all that for a main everyday use so this means you will need to do a lot of switching between these 2 lenses.
The 55-200mm VR is a lens I didnt hear a lot of good things.
On the other hand the 18-105mm VR is a very good range and the lens is a pretty good lens (I had it and was happy with it).
For my main lens I have 24-85mm VR and I use it almost all the time so I personally would rather have it for starters then the set of 2 lenses.
When you are ready you can get the 70-300mm VR which is (for its price) an excellent telezoom lens.
Its a full frame lens so on the D5100 or D5200 which are crop sensor cameras its actually 105-450mm which mean with 2 lenses you are covering the range of 18-450mm which is more then the avarage DSLR user will ever need.

My recommendation is what I would choose but I am sure others might think differently then me, listen to everyone and then do what you think is best for you.
There is no right or wrong, to each his own.

After you got your camera and lenses consider a prime lens which, the 50mm 18.G is considered by many (me included) an excellent lens for little money, its super sharp, super fast and is good for both portraits and night photography.

On the other hand the 18-105mm VR is a very good range and the lens is a pretty good lens (I had it and was happy with it).
For my main lens I have 24-85mm VR and I use it almost all the time so I personally would rather have it for starters then the set of 2 lenses.
When you are ready you can get the 70-300mm VR which is (for its price) an excellent telezoom lens.
Its a full frame lens so on the D5100 or D5200 which are crop sensor cameras its actually 105-450mm which mean with 2 lenses you are covering the range of 18-450mm which is more then the avarage DSLR user will ever need.

I do not think it is correct.

With 18-105mm lens and 70-300mm lens, the focal length coverage is 18mm to 300mm only.

With 18-105mm lens and 70-300mm lens, the focal length coverage is 18mm to 300mm only.
Yes and no, it does cover from 18-300mm but since the 70-300mm is a full frame lens the effect on a crop sensor camera is 100-450mm.
On Nikon crop sensor cameras (DX cameras) when you use a full frame lens you need to multiply it by 1.5 to know the range of the lens on the camera.

If I am wrong I am sure there will be the people to correct me here or maybe explain it better in more detail then me.

Yes and no, it does cover from 18-300mm but since the 70-300mm is a full frame lens the effect on a crop sensor camera is 100-450mm.
On Nikon crop sensor cameras (DX cameras) when you use a full frame lens you need to multiply it by 1.5 to know the range of the lens on the camera.

If I am wrong I am sure there will be the people to correct me here or maybe explain it better in more detail then me.

Okay, I see what your confusion is. Well basically, focal length is the optical property of a lens. It has nothing to do with the recording medium.

A DX lens with 18mm focal length, when it is mounted on a cropped camera body, it is 18mm focal length. when it is mounted on a full frame / 35mm film camera body (if allow), the focal length is still 18mm (possible there is a dark border).

When a FX lens with 50mm focal length mounted on a DX body, the focal length is 50mm and it is the same when mounted on a full frame body.

Take a look at this diagram from Nikon

focal-length-graphic.jpg

The "Image Distance" from the above diagram is the focal length. As you can see, changing the size of the recording medium at the back of the camera will not alter the image distance. It is simply because that is the optical property of the lens. That is how the lens bend the light.

As for the difference between full frame and cropped sensor, it is basically the area of the image plane being captured. So the main difference is only the Field of View or Angle of View. As for the 1.5x crop factor. For me, it really do not matter much. That is just for comparison when someone were coming from the 35mm film / full frame format. If a person only shoot large format before and now switch to cropped body, the crop factor number should be higher.

Hope this help.

Thanks for all the help guys!

My friend bought a Canon T3i, how does it compare to the ones i linked?

I started with a Canon Rebel T2i and I loved it. It was a great camera. I don't know anything about those Nikon things, because I have only owned Canon products. I used a Canon kit lens for a very short time before I purchased the 50mm 1.4 which I still use today.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back