Tiny Portrait

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
I did my first newborn shoot this week, and ended up with quite a few shots that I liked. The mother loved them (always a plus), I thought this was the best of the group.

Obviously my intent was to capture the innocence and essence of a newborn. This one isn't typical, but I think I like the shadow on it.

Tech info: f2.9, 1/240, ISO400, Shot on my Fuji Finepix S700 (digital). I used available light from a window, no flash.

Any suggestions on how I could have made this better? ANY advice or critique is appreciated.. its hard to really critique your own work, I was just happy to get some good pictures.

Do you think this would be a good photo to put in my portfolio and show to prospective clients? Thanks!

brooke16.jpg

I love the lighting, but this one seems a bit soft in comparison to the others and I personally don't like the pose. I you mean to show the innocence of the child, I believe that eye contact is very important (unless, of course, he or she is asleep). I think a few of the others would look much better in a portfolio than this one.

The lighting ratio is good. Personally, I don't find it necessay for portaits to be tack sharp. In fact, I recommend a bit of softening for most.

Is this the full image? Any cropping here? I wonder how this might look if rotated 30-40 degrees CCW. Do you have room to do this?

sillyphaunt said:
Do you think this would be a good photo to put in my portfolio and show to prospective clients?

Sure! It demonstates a good level of skill and artistic ability.

-Pete

I really like the lighting and the softness doesn't bother me. I agree with Pete, try some other cropping ideas and see how you like those. For me, portraits are all about the eyes, and in this case something seems lacking...I think if you had moved just a bit to captrure more of the eyes that might have made it a stronger image. I would certainly include this in your portfolio, it's a technically strong image and something I that I have to continually remind myself of is that not everyone has the same taste in photography as I do, there are times where I go to trash an image, Aubrey will stop me and say that's a good picture and sure enough the client buys it.

See, I like the pose in this one - fat wiggly little baby, toes and fist all curled up very sweet! :) BUT - I don't care for the shadow; I'd sooner see more side lighting.

I would agree you have a few others from this shoot that are a bit stronger. You did well for a first time out, Kylie. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back