Tips for delivery room photos?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. First time in a delivery room, first time father. I'll be shooting with my sony rx100 VI in the delivery room (C-Section). Once i get out of there i'll switch to my canon 5d iv and be fine, but i'm curious what i should expect as far as metering, etc. Tips, tricks, setup and photograph ideas are welcome. Thank you!

I was there for the birth of two of my three, third was adopted, but I didn't record. It wasn't an option way back then, so not much help. I do remember a lot of light, so getting a good exposure shouldn't be difficult. I would suggest taking a WB target with white/gray/black at the minimum to shoot at the first and correct in post. Even better would be a Color Checker.

Lastly pictures to remember are great, but a word of warning, don't get so caught up in the photography that you miss the event.

Shot both of mine on film, use a med to high ISO, I used 400 if I remember. It’s been 40+ years. He’s 3 in my avatar. Doc let me cut the cord.

Lights on the action will be very bright, the rest will be either fluorescent or led white. Goes without saying no flash, and stay out of the way. I used a nifty 50 and was able to get decent DOF and no motion blur.

Don't get so caught up in shooting you forget to be there for your wife, etc. :smug: A few good pics is all you will need, (and all people will want to see), a little goes a long way.

Oh and one last "important" tip, always view and edit before you show to family. Our oldest son took video, in the delivery room and in the room after on the first born. After the proud new parents were home, all the family was gathered and son grabbed the tape of the hospital room thinking it was safe......it was up until feeding time. Son couldn't find the remote DIL was trying to cover the big screen with her body, and the rest of us were ROFL.

Hey guys. First time in a delivery room, first time father. I'll be shooting with my sony rx100 VI in the delivery room (C-Section). Once i get out of there i'll switch to my canon 5d iv and be fine, but i'm curious what i should expect as far as metering, etc. Tips, tricks, setup and photograph ideas are welcome. Thank you!
A little surprised your partner's OB-GYN is OK with you potentially in the way, especially for a C-section which usually puts more hands on deck in the delivery room. Any chance you could just be there just to comfort her? Plenty of time for photography once she's feeling better.

Congratulations! I've been in the delivery room for three of my four sons (all C-section), and on the last one, got to carry him from the delivery table to the weighing station. What a feeling! Had a nurse standing behind me to catch me, in case I fainted or something...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back