Tips for theater photography?

greenjackson16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tomorrow I'm taking photos of a rehearsal for pictures to go on a program for a play. I haven't had much experience in this setting. Anyone have any tips?
~ Jackson

Check and see if you are allowed a flash. Play sets have VERY harsh lighting. If you have an off-camera flash, that would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Some sort of wide angle telephoto is probably the best lens choice, assuming that you'll have the freedom to saunter around the venue. Something like a 17-70mm.

Of course, this is all based off my theater production experience, and my somewhat limited knowledge of photography.

If the photos are going to be on the program, dont shoot the rehearsal. Get everyone before and/or after to do posed shots with controlled lighting. That way you have 100% control.

thanks for the help everyone. I got a few good shots (had to leave early), but I need to go back for another rehearsal. preferably dress rehearsal. I'll use these tips then

Slip the HEAD usher a $50 AND HAVE A FEW WORDS with him...

Don't use auto white balance. Use the native balance of the unfiltered light source - probably between 3000 K and 3200 K.

Good luck,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back