Tips for use of reflectors for outdoor portraits

MSPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been thinking of buying a reflector with a stand to do outdoor portraits with. When you're shooting outdoors, do you usually have someone holding a reflector for you, or do you use a stand? Any thoughts/tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A human is a good stand holder. Outdoors, stands that work are things like C-stands or Avenger turtle-base stands. SQUARE, or RECTANGULAR reflectors are more-stable than round ones, and are MUCH,much, MUCH easier to keep in position with "makeshift" or "ad hoc" grip gear solutions.

Trying to use a reflector on a stand outdoors, is going to drive you insane. If the conditions are good (no wind) it's doable...and you can deal with a little bit of wind by using a very stable stand with weights and maybe tethers...but any more than a gentle breeze....what's that song? Sail Away....

And even if you do get the reflector into a stable position...you are limited to that spot and that position unless you want to change it constantly.

Do yourself a favor and get a VALS...Voice Activated Light Stand.
THIS
THIS

VALS lol i like that

Thanks for the tips- I figured it would be difficult outdoors to keep a stand in place with wind. I will check out the equip. you mentioned.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back