Tips for using a fisheye lens? I have an Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 for my Canon 650D

randystanford1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering if there is an cool tips I can use/learn from you guys about fish eye lens!
What are your thoughts about fisheye lenses?
Show me some of your work that you would like to share.
I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd try to talk to you guys. :)
Thanks! -Randy

Fisheyes are specific-use lenses. They're not intended to be used all the time for all subjects. Towards that end, use it wisely and judiciously.

+1 to sparky's suggestion.

I use mine only under limited circumstances. Mine is a little different, because it creates a circular image on the sensor, instead of being 180deg FOV from corner to corner, like most modern fisheyes. I've found mine useful if I want to convey the vastness of an area surrounding my subject, or when the unique perspective lends itself well to convey a specific notion. Having a subject is important, too. If you just take photos of 180deg of nothing, they won't be very interesting. I often find it's important to put the subject in or near the center, or else you will get tremendous distortion of it. I'm not very good at utilizing the fisheye, but when executed properly, it can make for a dramatic effect.

I've posted these before, but here are a couple examples of more recent photos I've taken using my fisheye:

8115276973_04dfeb56d6_b.jpg

8115278251_ede7961a67_b.jpg

7442694824_03f5c821ee_b.jpg

7442253216_94c995e352_b.jpg

Fisheye shots don't always have to immediately convey the non-liner lines they produce.

SpringSkiesPost.jpg

Sunset01Post.jpg

PedBriidge03small.jpg

PedBridge02small.jpg

Pagoda1small.jpg

Oh sure, sure. Just go right ahead and show me up, sparky :p

Nice captures! And point well conveyed..

Most reactions

Back