Tips please for my first proper family photoshoot

I don't know how soon this is scheduled, but if possible I'd think about helping refer them to an established portrait photographer in your area instead of trying to do this yourself. If that's not an option, since you have taken pictures of family, do the best you can, and after this I'd suggest you stick to friends and family until you have the expertise to do the job. I think a pro (even a pro who's new to being a pro) needs to know the tools of the trade.

It sounds like you need more practice with just your camera. Go out to locations that might be the type place you'd do a photo shoot and take pictures of subjects (like flowers, trees, or whatever) and figure out camera settings for various situations (like aperture related to field of vision). Set up where you can get subjects about the same distance from each other as people would stand, take photos at various apertures, write down what you did then go thru the pictures and see what happens to the background and the subjects and what's in focus and what's not, etc. Practice, practice, practice!!

I don't know what the client expectations are for but to me this sounds like a lot in one session. I'd think about getting the family first if the kids are young enough to not be able to wait long - or discuss it with the family, maybe keep it to photos of them with the kids.

I think it would probably be best to do the newborn photos with the parents holding the baby, or maybe a quick few shots on a blanket on the ground and let the parents handle/position the baby (since you don't know them or their baby or their comfort level). You should probably disregard most of the newborn photos/videos out there (I say that having worked with infants w/ delays for 20 years) since many seem to demonstrate improper positioning (even though adult hands are photoshopped out, the poses often appear appropriate for older infants but not newborns without head control). I would use positions that would be consistent with what medical staff would demonstrate to first time parents.

If you develop necessary skills before doing any more paid or even unpaid shoots for others, you'd be more likely to be successful and develop a good reputation as a photographer.

Most reactions

Back