Tips please for my first proper family photoshoot

gayle23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been taking photos of friends kids and my own for a while now but I have now been asked to do a family and newborn photoshoot for someone I don't know. Eeeek. I'm not charging as I am still not at all confident that I can achieve the results I want but I am still taking it very seriously. I am struggling a little with using continuous mode to get moving kids in sharp focus and still gain a good composition. I love the creativity that selecting focus myself allows but would you recommend putting it onto auto focus for this family shoot so I can focus on compostion, good lighting opportunities and capturing moments? Any tips in general? Or focus practise tips I can try in advance.
I'm going to increase my f stop to around 4.0 for the group shots I think so I get everyone in focus, I usually shoot with a shallower depth of field. Also do you prefer focus and recompose or moving the focus points? I know the middle one is a cross type one so stronger/sharper focus which is why I keep doing focus and recompose but I sometimes lose sharpness. Lots of questions, general advice needed to settle my nerves and so I can feel a bit more confident about it. Thanks

There is so much to consider - in fact everything - that there is no way to give tips and be certain to hit your blind spot, if you have any.

The one thing that did stir me to think is you closing down to f4.
The depth of field at f4 is not that great and you would be wise to look at DOFmaster.com so you can understand how depth of field varies with the focal length lens, f stop and distance.

If you do nothing else, make sure you recce the 'site in advance and at the time of day that the shoot will occur so that you know what the light is light (as best you can), look for backgrounds, note potential distractions, and problem shadow areas.

Yes, pre-check the location in advance!!! And stop down to f/4? likely, that is not enough: I think of f/5.6 as being "the starting point" for a group shot. f/6.3 is often better, and f/7.1 is one of my favorite apertures for many types of photos.

Do NOT be afraid to let the ISO climb to 320 or 400 or 500 iof needed, to get the f/stop required,. along with a sufficently fast shiutter speed to bring home STEADY, crisp, well-focused photos--of everybody!

As mentioned above: be aware of how distance regulates Depth of FIeld to a HUGE degree; then it is aperture and focal length, but DISTANCE is the key,key component.

FORGET about blurred backdrops and such things: get the people sharp! Forget keeping the ISO at 100; that is for saps! The key is to bring back good, crisp, clear, focused shots. If you don;'t understand what you are edoing, then set the ISO to AUTO ISO, and set the lens to f/5.6 or f/6.3 and pick a minimum shutter speed of 1/180 second, and allow the ISO to go as High as 2400, and shoot that way.

I prefer to move the AF point to the most-important subject, and focus that way. OR....focus the camera at a DISTANCE, like 20 or 25 feet, and tripod place the camera at 20 or 25 feet...this is very old-school, and how I learned to shoot groups, by focusing by a FLOOR_mounted distance line and a lens with marked focusing distances: this is a very old method, well-suited more to manual focusing lenses than to many newer lenses.

Do NOT get too close to a group of more than 6 people!!!! In big groups, with 3 ranks of people, iof the camera and lens are too close, there will be a distorting of size based on rows!

If you do nothing else, make sure you recce the 'site in advance and at the time of day that the shoot will occur so that you know what the light is light (as best you can), look for backgrounds, note potential distractions, and problem shadow areas.
Oh god, I can't get there in advance as I am travelling to shoot plus it's definitely not going to be golden hour!

Yes, pre-check the location in advance!!! And stop down to f/4? likely, that is not enough: I think of f/5.6 as being "the starting point" for a group shot. f/6.3 is often better, and f/7.1 is one of my favorite apertures for many types of photos.

Do NOT be afraid to let the ISO climb to 320 or 400 or 500 iof needed, to get the f/stop required,. along with a sufficently fast shiutter speed to bring home STEADY, crisp, well-focused photos--of everybody!

As mentioned above: be aware of how distance regulates Depth of FIeld to a HUGE degree; then it is aperture and focal length, but DISTANCE is the key,key component.

FORGET about blurred backdrops and such things: get the people sharp! Forget keeping the ISO at 100; that is for saps! The key is to bring back good, crisp, clear, focused shots. If you don;'t understand what you are edoing, then set the ISO to AUTO ISO, and set the lens to f/5.6 or f/6.3 and pick a minimum shutter speed of 1/180 second, and allow the ISO to go as High as 2400, and shoot that way.

I prefer to move the AF point to the most-important subject, and focus that way. OR....focus the camera at a DISTANCE, like 20 or 25 feet, and tripod place the camera at 20 or 25 feet...this is very old-school, and how I learned to shoot groups, by focusing by a FLOOR_mounted distance line and a lens with marked focusing distances: this is a very old method, well-suited more to manual focusing lenses than to many newer lenses.

Do NOT get too close to a group of more than 6 people!!!! In big groups, with 3 ranks of people, iof the camera and lens are too close, there will be a distorting of size based on rows!
Thanks for the advice. I was considering auto iso but setting a maximum Iso just so I have one less thing to juggle. Okay I will think about increasing my depth of field and get in closer for more bokeh if I need it but not too close like you said. I think it's only going to be a family of 4. One child is a toddler and one is a newborn. I though it was just going to be a newborn shoot which I felt a little more relaxed about as I can work in a slower way and consider things lighting and composition taking my time! but now she says she wants outdoor natural family shots. I've never taken photos of a whole family before so I am feeling a bit daunted.

There is so much to consider - in fact everything - that there is no way to give tips and be certain to hit your blind spot, if you have any.

The one thing that did stir me to think is you closing down to f4.
The depth of field at f4 is not that great and you would be wise to look at DOFmaster.com so you can understand how depth of field varies with the focal length lens, f stop and distance.
I will do that thanks. I understand that when I get in closer depth of field is much shallower but I don't seem to properly judge how much depth of field I actually get with the different stops. I just use trial and error but I want to learn so I'm not just blindly guessing and missing the moments.

Okay I will think about increasing my depth of field and get in closer for more bokeh if I need it
Why is it that beginning photographers think "getting Bokeh" is so important? What about focus? What about light? What about composition? I guess getting Bokeh is at least as important these days. Oh, well, as long as your clients like it, who else cares? Just us old folks. If you know the factors that contribute to background (and foreground) blur, then it is easy enough to blur the background (and foreground) without making your subjects blurry as well.

I understand that when I get in closer depth of field is much shallower but I don't seem to properly judge how much depth of field I actually get with the different stops. I just use trial and error but I want to learn so I'm not just blindly guessing and missing the moments.
I put one of those depth of field calculators on my phone so I always have it available wherever I am. I can plug in the values (working from whichever factors that are known) to arrive at either the aperture or distance that I want for whatever DOF that I want.

Also, for most people, it pays to take along a tape measure to get the actual measurement rather than trying to guess distances. Only if you have practiced a lot in estimating distances will you ever guess correctly. Put a tape measure in your gadget bag.

Good luck!

Go HERE : Depth of Field, Angle & Field of View, & Equivalent Lens Calculator - Points in Focus Photography

Just spend a half hour there, and look at a few basics, like getting a "family group-sized area" from such and such a distance, like....20 to 25 feet distant...that allows you a decent DOF zone to begin with, being 25 feet away! ALso, it allows/forces a slightly longer lens setting.

Do not ever get closer than 7 feet on a person; too close a camwera leads to distorting the facial features and any extended arms or legs, such as in seated poses.

This is not that challenging a thing: just make soem sharp, clear photos of four people. STand back a ways, and use the distance to allow them their personal space in which to play act. That's what a family session is...a little bit of play-acting, with a camera on the other side of the group.

One good way to begin is to use a 70-300 zoom or 55-200 zoom, something like that, and have the group interact with one another, and as they slooooooowly walk toeward the camera, have one parent tewll a story or some jokes, as the others look at him/her, laugh, and interact. tahis is a very good way to begin a family session, and a tipo I picked up 40 years ago from an old book on portraiture.

This works great with nervous couoples too...start far back, zoomed in to 200 or 300mm, and as the couple approached, keep shortening the lens length and shooting pictures...25,30,40 shots....make it so they KNOW that it's okay to "waste shots", that the shooting will be free, loose, easy, and that , and SAY THIS: "Not every photo needs to be perfect. We're gonna shoot a bunch of photos."

...I can't get there in advance as I am travelling to shoot plus it's definitely not going to be golden hour!
Worst-case scenario, Google Earth, research...

...I don't seem to properly judge how much depth of field I actually get with the different stops. I just use trial and error but I want to learn so I'm not just blindly guessing and missing the moments.
You don't "judge" DoF, you KNOW! There are a million smart-phone applications which contain Depth-of-Field tables, and if you're not a 'phone person, you can quickly print or copy tables from the Internet. This is why I have a measuring tape in my grip box, so that I KNOW what I'm dealing with.

...I can't get there in advance as I am travelling to shoot plus it's definitely not going to be golden hour!
Worst-case scenario, Google Earth, research...

...I don't seem to properly judge how much depth of field I actually get with the different stops. I just use trial and error but I want to learn so I'm not just blindly guessing and missing the moments.
You don't "judge" DoF, you KNOW! There are a million smart-phone applications which contain Depth-of-Field tables, and if you're not a 'phone person, you can quickly print or copy tables from the Internet. This is why I have a measuring tape in my grip box, so that I KNOW what I'm dealing with.
Ha! Did that hit a nerve! I knew there was physics involved but had no idea you could get phone apps and the like. Right I'm on it. I was terrible at physics in school!

Go HERE : Depth of Field, Angle & Field of View, & Equivalent Lens Calculator - Points in Focus Photography

Just spend a half hour there, and look at a few basics, like getting a "family group-sized area" from such and such a distance, like....20 to 25 feet distant...that allows you a decent DOF zone to begin with, being 25 feet away! ALso, it allows/forces a slightly longer lens setting.

Do not ever get closer than 7 feet on a person; too close a camwera leads to distorting the facial features and any extended arms or legs, such as in seated poses.

This is not that challenging a thing: just make soem sharp, clear photos of four people. STand back a ways, and use the distance to allow them their personal space in which to play act. That's what a family session is...a little bit of play-acting, with a camera on the other side of the group.

One good way to begin is to use a 70-300 zoom or 55-200 zoom, something like that, and have the group interact with one another, and as they slooooooowly walk toeward the camera, have one parent tewll a story or some jokes, as the others look at him/her, laugh, and interact. tahis is a very good way to begin a family session, and a tipo I picked up 40 years ago from an old book on portraiture.

This works great with nervous couoples too...start far back, zoomed in to 200 or 300mm, and as the couple approached, keep shortening the lens length and shooting pictures...25,30,40 shots....make it so they KNOW that it's okay to "waste shots", that the shooting will be free, loose, easy, and that , and SAY THIS: "Not every photo needs to be perfect. We're gonna shoot a bunch of photos."
Thank you, Great advice I will take it all on board. In terms of lenses though I only own one!! I have my 50mm 1.8g. With my lens I find I have to get in close at times to get the shots I want. I so wish I could afford a zoom. What would be the best most versitile zoom lens if I were to get one at some point. My area is family/kid photography I guess, so indoor and outdoor shots. I keep hearing about the Nikon 70 - 200.

I will do that thanks. I understand that when I get in closer depth of field is much shallower but I don't seem to properly judge how much depth of field I actually get with the different stops. I just use trial and error but I want to learn so I'm not just blindly guessing and missing the moments.
Does your camera not have a depth of field preview button on it?

My advice is to take command and to be in charge, to direct the shoot; the people will likely expect that **you** will be in some type of "charge of the shoot", so, have at least a rough idea. One bit of advice: shoot the parents as a couple and make sure to shoot pics of DAD alone! So,so many men are seldom-photographed creatures that, one day, your pictures will become prized family shots of the Dad!

Anyway...remember, f/5.6 is your Friend. Depth of Field in not all that complicated. At 20 feet, there is plewnty of DOF at f/5.6 with any lens, for a group shot that includes 4 people....this is simple physics. At 20 feet, DOF is ample! If the picture area covered by a d-slr can emcompass four people---based on lens length but more-critically, on camera-to-subject distance...there will be AMPLE DOF. THis is a simple premise...like....at freeway speed your car will be in top gear....simple physics. No need for DOF charts as long as you're at f/5.6 (or a smller apertrure,like f/6.3 or f/7.1) and at 20 feet, AND the picture area is the size of a car or bigger....you'll have enough DOF for a group of four.

Stay calm. SHoot the couple, the dad with the kids, the two kids if age-appropriate (a 9-year old or lower cannot often be counted on to properly hold and support/pose a todder or infant in the perfect manner needed for a family photo, for example)., and Mom and the kids. Get some variations on the groupings. Dad alone. Mom alone. Dad and a Son. Mom and a Daughter. Etc..

This is not rocket science, nor even cutting up a fryer chicken and making friednchicken...this is LESS complex than the fried chicken dinner, and is relatively easy stuff. Show up, Stay calm, Have a plan, Shoot the set.

What i like she said you only have one lens and its not nearly as long at 200mm... I have a 55mm lens right now. With a smaller lens you can be much closer then 20ft im amusing.

Also it may be beneficial to write up a set list of photos you know you want to get for sure. Like he said able the dad alone or dad and son, mom and baby alone ad so on. That way you can get the main ocus out of the way and kinda have the space to be more creative with it and not worry that you forgot anything important. Plus you said you were not charging them anything, so take a breath and do this bc its your passion and you love it. Remember this is the fun stuff and they will be happy no matter what you give them. Just get them in focus and you can always chae the background blur later if its not a blurred as you like ya know?

Most reactions

Back