Tired of it already....

I understand that it can be frustrating when you post some pictures and you don't even get one response. I've been in the same shoes myself a few times. I can also see how it would be frustrating when you see the same people who post multiple C&C threads in one day all having various responses while your own C&C threads which you post every other day or every few days you don't get a measly response. However the way i try and look at it is, maybe it just wasn't worth the comment. I agree that some feedback, even negative is better than nothing, and would be nice. Though, the lack of feedback on threads just encourages (for me atleast) to try harder and do a better job so maybe a photographer will notice my thread and say 'hey not bad.... Try do X more/better, don't do X next time' and maybe they'll want to see more of my threads...

I think what happens is there's just soo many C&C threads that people just post on the ones that jump out at them because they simply don't have the time, or effort to be spending the time to to put a decent reply into all of them.

Be patient, i have posted a few C&C's and have gotten some great feedback, don't get me wrong i've posted some and have gotten none before, but don't take it personally. Just try again, don't give up on the people here. There are some great people here who have can and do give some great feedback, but you just have to be patient. If you don't get any replies maybe try another photo shoot an get it stand out more, or maybe send someone a kind PM saying 'hey can you check my thread please'.

I hope you decide to stay, if not good luck.

I agree with Fem. It is disheartening to not get any replies, but the way I look at it is exactly what he said - it just wasn't worth a comment (ie, either bad or just average). I also realize this isn't a school, and no one is getting paid to tutor us, so we do what we can.

There used to be a guy here named Bifurcator who was great, he would make sure no posts had 0 comments. If he saw one with 0 he would make sure to comment on it and give helpful tips. Sadly he got banned (unrelated reasons).

If you post a photo and get no replies - deal with it, try harder or accept that you have different taste than others. I've seen photos get tons of good replies that I think look like crap, and I've seen amazing photos go with 0 replies. What can ya do? :)

Don't forget LaFoto either - she put a lot of time into the forum as well with commenting, advising and also general moderator stuff (I think she was one of the empowered members who had some mod duties/powers but not a full moderator for a long while). Sadly she has had a lot on her plate recently and not had time to be around the site ( agreat shame)

I'm one of those "atta boy" people. If a photo is just so so, I normally don't respond.
If the photo is really close to being good, I might give some tips. If I see talent, I'm gonna help as much as I can.
If the photo is bad, I'm not going to jump in and say that. There are already too many people who dogpile.

But believe me, when I first started posting I got slammed. I learned from that.

Just keep posting. People will eventually respond.

You know what might help, is to have a specific crit forum. I've been on sites that have that and it's really cool. They gather different pros and PPA judges who can really help (and those people are the only ones who can respond, so you don't end up with idiots. Not eveyone wants that type of critical crit, but some people do.
Just an idea.

DScience, I took you off ignore, because I kinda get into your crazy assed comments.

Why don't you post on comment? Normally you tell freely and give your opinon. (However skewed)

How does a laughing sign help? Don't you have something on topic to say?

Ah, Overread, you are still thinking of me. I feel quite honoured. :D

Yes, there was a time when I really gave a huge amount of time to commenting on many different threads, mostly so those that went by 0 replies, as I know the sad feeling you get out of trying to communicate with people (here via an internet forum), and no one talks to you. Whether that be some real criticism about what photo you posted, or just some general comment on that you've been to the same place, seen the same subject (for example) ... it wasn't always artistic, technical or other such aspects that came to mind when I looked at a very average photo.

But (!) that was VERY time consuming, and my interests also shifted a little (thing is I myself feel quite bad about my own photography and have felt like that for over a year now), and I felt I was saying the same things over and over and over again, so I sort of "left" TPF for quite some time, and now I'm only in the vague beginning of getting myself acquainted with the many, many, MANY new members who have meanwhile joined (and keep joining) the forums in droves.

haha thanks all.....i see this is no longer my thread... :p just kidding, thanks again!

Ah, Overread, you are still thinking of me. I feel quite honoured. :D

Yes, there was a time when I really gave a huge amount of time to commenting on many different threads, mostly so those that went by 0 replies, as I know the sad feeling you get out of trying to communicate with people (here via an internet forum), and no one talks to you. Whether that be some real criticism about what photo you posted, or just some general comment on that you've been to the same place, seen the same subject (for example) ... it wasn't always artistic, technical or other such aspects that came to mind when I looked at a very average photo.

But (!) that was VERY time consuming, and my interests also shifted a little (thing is I myself feel quite bad about my own photography and have felt like that for over a year now), and I felt I was saying the same things over and over and over again, so I sort of "left" TPF for quite some time, and now I'm only in the vague beginning of getting myself acquainted with the many, many, MANY new members who have meanwhile joined (and keep joining) the forums in droves.

Hey LaFoto, I was one of those people you helped. And I will never forget all your great advice. You helped me grow.

And because you and others helped me, I felt the need to "pass it on". But you are right, it takes a LOT of time, and not everyone wants to hear what they could do to bump things up a bit.

For a while here, there was a ton of trolls who just roved around and spit on people's attempts. Nothing constructive, just one rude comment after another. I think they pretty much got weeded out, but there are new one's daily. I guess we can expect it on a site this large.

Another problem, with some, is the resistance to any kind of constructive crit. They are Gods in their town, among their friends, and they can't fathom how they could have done it better. Some of them shoot for free, but won't listen from paid photogs how to take that step up.

Some of them.

So, like you, I spend a great amount of time (at least for my schedule) to try to help. And it gets discouraging when they won't listen, don't care, or get attacked by trolls and give up.

No one responds much to people that are new here and I am tired of it.

It happens to those of us who've been here a while too - I can watch some of my stuff sale through the forums so fast I'd swear they never even registered in the database back there. Keep trying though...

In fact, try posting absolute garbage - it's guaranteed to get a response... :lol:

The usual whining of those who think their newness to the forum makes people not respond really gets annoying. Just look at my latest photo entries and look at the response I get. Then look at my number of posts on here. Am I still new? After more than 6 years? With over 30.000 posts? And you think I get a RESPONSE because of that? Dream on.

After 200 so posts I don't consider myself new. But I get comments from people because I have commented on there work.

What comes around goes around.

You get out what you put in.

Blah Blah.

Put some effort into making us like your work and want to post on your photos.

You know what might help, is to have a specific crit forum.

A Crit Forum? On here? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Sorry. That just slipped out.
Try doing a thread search and you will find why there isn't one any longer.
It caused more fights, bad blood, nose bleeds and foot stamping than you would believe.
I know. I was the Mod of one of them.

My opinions on photo crits have been posted on here ad nauseam (do a search) so I won't add anything more.

Most reactions

Back