Title is in the Image

sashbar

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the title of this image read the poster.

$Urban Portraiture_web.jpg

OK, tell me now why this image has had no love at all on TFP... :playball:

Because I just noticed it now! I can't tell which of the two geezers I like better :)

The geezers are excellent, but the picture isn't doing much for me.

Looking at it more, I think can expand.

There are several potential pictures in here. The two guys, looking in opposite directions, is a nice piece of design. They're not quite.. placed right, somehow, for that to particularly work.

Placing the one fellow against the URBAN PORTRAITURE billboard is another interesting idea, but let's be clear, it's another idea. I think there might be a crop that makes this one work well. It's the sort of thing I find a bit trite, but, whatever. Lots of people enjoy a little wit in a picture.

The tree branches, the vehicle, the shop window on the left half, it's all a bunch of disjointed stuff that's not pulling together in any kind of design, and even as scene setting it's more chaos than giving me a sense of place. Again, I think a crop down to, essentially, the right half of the picture clarifies the background a bunch (by eliminating much of it!) and produces a potentially much stronger, albeit simpler, picture.

Looking at it more, I think can expand.

There are several potential pictures in here. The two guys, looking in opposite directions, is a nice piece of design. They're not quite.. placed right, somehow, for that to particularly work.

Placing the one fellow against the URBAN PORTRAITURE billboard is another interesting idea, but let's be clear, it's another idea. I think there might be a crop that makes this one work well. It's the sort of thing I find a bit trite, but, whatever. Lots of people enjoy a little wit in a picture.

The tree branches, the vehicle, the shop window on the left half, it's all a bunch of disjointed stuff that's not pulling together in any kind of design, and even as scene setting it's more chaos than giving me a sense of place. Again, I think a crop down to, essentially, the right half of the picture clarifies the background a bunch (by eliminating much of it!) and produces a potentially much stronger, albeit simpler, picture.

As I was trying to decide which geezer was better, I came to very similar conclusions. I like that they are looking away from each other and you'd miss that if the geezer on the left were cropped out. However, I could also see a stronger picture with just the geezer on the right and the entire left side cropped, all the way to the edge of the sign, cutting off also the extraneous car in the background.

BUT...then you'd also crop out the guy across the street who looks like he caught you taking the picture.

I'm still drawn to the right side of the picture because it's more cohesive and more interesting - the smoking, the pose, the hat, the poster in the back and the great lines of the branches. But i will say that the full picture does engage the viewer a bit more, probably as they decide which geezer to pay more attention to ;)

Thanks guys. I partly agree with both of you that cutting off the guy on the left and that bloody car as well would make the image more, if not much stronger, but more cohesive. What stops me from doing it is the street feel and depth that comes with the full picture, and even if I really hate that car, I often feel that my images have not enough chaos for a street shot. I would love to gravitate towards more "chaotic" ( or complicated if you wish) compositions, that are much much more difficult to pull off, but ultmately are so much more rewarding. This image is nowhere near as chaotic or complicated though - it consists of just two distinct parts and the juxtaposition of two men is one main factor, that holds it all together, apart from the color scheme.
The other catch with croping for a one man portrait is that there will be so much more emphasis on that geezer on the right that it will be a completely different portrait ball game, if you know what I mean. One would mention the hand covering part of his face, one untidy branch, lack of eye contact etc etc. In the current frame it is not an issue - the pose is working well and we do not want to know too much about the man...
So yes, choices, choices, but on balance I prefer the full frame shot.

Last edited:
I cut it quickly for you guys, the crop is really heavy so IQ suffers. But it is a nice pic anyway. Methinks. Thanks.

$Urban portrait_web.jpg

I cut it quickly for you guys, the crop is really heavy so IQ suffers. But it is a nice pic anyway. Methinks. Thanks.

View attachment 61860

Now this is nice. You should have done this from the beginning. I mean that too. Great shot here.

Most reactions

Back