TLR Treasure Chest! I need help!

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have wanted a TLR for a long time. I love the look of them, even if only used as a mantle piece. I went to an antique store today and ran across this. I would hardly take it all in! TLR, tons of other medium format cameras and tons of 35mm cameras. Overflowing with brands I have never even heard of. Even some tiny cameras that look like my Autographic that were about 2"x3" in size.

Just looking for a little help on brands and how to make sure they are in working condition. Here are some pics and a couple videos.

I attached 3 short videos showing the different brands of the TLR's and one just shows the cast amount of cameras.

b40003b4.jpg

0ada233b.jpg

e24b21c2.mp4 video by eric-holmes - Photobucket

f365198c.mp4 video by eric-holmes - Photobucket

ba72abfc.mp4 video by eric-holmes - Photobucket

TLR's make nice display cameras. They look cool, with their stacked lenses, and large, prominent nameplates aboe the viewing lens. Even their number-8 profile, hinged lens caps are cool-looking! Many of them were made in the 1940's and 1950's. If my memory serves me correctly, the Rolleiflex premiered around 1929, and within a decade or so, there were many TLRs on the market. By the 1940's, the design was pretty popular. There's a wide range of mechanical complexity, from camera that force the user to use a red window to advance the film to each numbered frame,using a knob winding system, and cocking the shutter by hand for each exposure, while at the higher end the camera have automatic film advance to the first frame, and interlocked crank wind and shutter cocking. There are plenty of bookshelf and desktop grade old beater TLR's available.

WWW.TLR-CAMERAS.COM/History has some history on TLR's.

Thanks, Derrel. They had a few Ciro-Flex's. I may try one of those. They also had a Rolleicord but I don't want to drop 145 on a TLR when I could use it for something digital.

So it's a decent TLR? I think it was $45 and it was either a model c or e. Any information on how to cock/testing shutter and aperture?

Where is this Antique Store? If I may ask... never before have I seen candy like that. I myself am an antique store spelunker.

Its in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Would it happen to be anywhere near Conway? I'll be heading up that way sometime this month.

Eh, it's somewhat close to Conway. Within 30 minutes. I'll get you the exact address and PM it to you.

Thanks. My father says he knows where Crystal Hill is so this month or next we'll make a pilgrimage up there. Thanks Eric.

So it's a decent TLR? I think it was $45 and it was either a model c or e. Any information on how to cock/testing shutter and aperture?

Check *bay for current prices. $45 should get you a very nice one with a case. That may even be a bit high. These are extremely simple cameras. You should be able to figure it out in about 2 minutes. Advance is a simple knob with a red window in the back. Aperture is set by a tab on the shutter face. Usually has an Alphax shutter. The Alphax is very simple with limited speeds. There is also not much that can go wrong with it. You just push the lever and it goes click. Some models have a Rapax. The Rapax has slow speeds, is much nicer, and is much less likely to work without service after all these years. It has two levers, one for cocking and one for release. Most of these have 3 element lenses. Not nearly the quality of a Yashikamat (forget about a Rollei), but they often have a character that I like. Here's some photos from mine, to give you an idea of the slightly lo-fi results from the triplet.

I travel a LOT because of my job. I got to antique malls a LOT looking for camera gems. I've NEVER run into a cache like this. DAMN! I'd like to know where this is as well, I'd route myself through there next time I have the opportunity.

Most reactions

Back