...once the light goes on.. I am magic! = )
I'd make a comment something along the lines of when the lights go out, but that would be very, very wrong.
Folks, this woman has been thrust into "real" photography, or should I say photography with a "real" camera more or less against her will. I have seen so much information thrown at her, I am sure it is overwhelming. Maybe somebody should offer to mentor her. Start out slow, cover one camera feature at a time...get her light to go on, one element at a time.
Part of the problem seems to be that she approaches her new camera like the point and shoot. For quick grabs here and there. While most of us may put some time and thinking into what we shoot. She may not want to. She may want to get some better images of here children, her vacations, and other events. Start with the very basics. She has been messing with aperture and ISO and not understanding what exactly they do, and how they relate to the final image. I think we need to help her understand one part of the trilogy at a time.
Further, Mostly Sunny, you need to find a book that will help you understand your camera. The 7d is new, so I am not sure if David Busch has put out a dummy book for it yet. I don't know how the 7d is layed out in relation to a 40d, 50d, or whatever it is comparable to to reccomend a book for it. Manuals that come with camera are far too clinical and straight forward for someone so new to really "get". I reccomend Digital Photography for Dummies. It's a good book, and presents the information well in a light hearted easy to follow manner.