What's new

To be or not to be. questions inside

Bram

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
1,791
Reaction score
16
Location
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello TPF how ya doing? I'm good thanks.


Alright so another question, If your budget would be around a $1,000.00 and you had my equipment (see below). What would you upgrade your body to? A D90 priced newly here for $729.99 (BODY ONLY) or a USED D300 for around $999.99 on Amazon? You see I feel very limited with my D40x I mean it's served me well for about a year now and it's getting a little frustrating with certain aspects (won't get into it). I know most of you will say upgrade your glass. Why would I, Christmas is in 2 months. I know I won't get a new body for christmas my rents thoght spending $329.99 on my 55-200mm lens last christmas was a little too much. Christmas is supposed to be nice small gifts for fun not a new car if you get my attempt at a metaphor. ANYWHOO back to the original question: What would you do in this situation.
 
Last edited:
Sell = Gripped Nikon D40x | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR
Buy = D90 and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or Sigma 17-70?

AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR does what you need? if not 70-300VR or a f2.8 80-200 Nikon or Sigma flavor.

The D90 is a great step up and will open up the possibilities. Upgrading from kit lenses with faster glass will extend the usability in more situations like indoors and lower light situations. And Image IQ will take a big step up also.
.


 
Bram, Bram, Bram... (shakes head)... Where are your humanitarian instincts? Lots of people have the D40 and take really good pictures. Not as good as your, I'll grant you, but pretty good. So there is still some good photographic life left in that D40 of yours. Here's what I would do if I were you (you did ask).

I'd donate the $1,000 to the Lens ophanage and allow it to find a new and caring home for one of the many forgotten ophans that are in this world. They will then send you a framed photo of the new happy home welcoming this orphan lens, and your funds will enable the happy home to give it a useful and rewarding new life. Every Christmas, and on your birthday, they will send you pictures of your adopted (formerly orphan) lens, and show you how it is faring. Now isn't that a more worthwhile use of your funds? Just think of the karma points you will be getting for this. Yep. That's what I would do if I were you.
 
An attempt at humour. Obviously, from your reaction, fell kinda flat. Sorry.:blushing:
 
Haha, no worries. I just need to make a choice here because I was leaning towards the D300 for awhile but was thinking why. I mean the D90 is newer and has a couple cool features. Besides the 51 AF points they seem a bit similar to me.
 
51 AF points, 8ish FPS, weather sealing, AF fine tuning, and a few other things. Id say if you can afford to do a used D300 for $1k, save a tad more and go for the D7000.

Mark
 
The D300 kills the D90 when it comes to value.

D90 - All Plastic body no weather sealing
D300 - A Magnesium body and has weather sealing

D90- Multi-CAM1000 AF module, 9 focus points, the middle one is a cross-type point.
D300 - Multi-CAM3500DX AF module, the DX version of the same Multi-CAM3500 AF in the $8000 D3X. It has 51 focus points and 15 of them are cross-type focus points. Since you have been using the D40x's Multi-CAM 230, 3 focus points, none of the 3 cross type points, you have no clue what auto focus can really do.

D90 - Max shutter speed 1/4000 (est. 100,000 actuations shutter life)
D300 - Max shutter speed 1/8000 and it has a built-in intervalometer. (est. 150,000 actuations shutter. (original bc, cables,

D90 - Max frames-per-second rate 4.5 fps
D300 - Max frames-per-second rate 7 fps.

D90 - 1 RAW file type, 12-bit compressed.
D300 - 12-bit and 14-bit depths, compressed or non-compressed, lossy or not lossy.

D90 - Maximum of 3 auto brackets
D300 - Maximum of 9 auto brackets.

D90 - No 10-pin port, no PC sync port
D300 - Has both 10-pin and PC sync ports.

D90 - The first DSLR to also have video, so it also has Live View.
D300- No video, but does have Live View

The list goes on but that should help you decide.

I recently bought another D3 so, I have a low shutter count (just over 15,000), pristine, D300 for sale. (original box, cables, caps, Nikon D300 strap, Nikon EN-EL3e battery, Nikon charger, users manual)
 
Sensor-wise, it's looking like the D7000 is the best crop-body sensor on the market for low noise at High ISO settings...considering the price difference between a brand new D7000 and a used D300, the D7000 might be worth saving for.
 
Yep update to my post. As didn't notice you considering the D300. And yep would go for that myself over a D90. For many of the reasons listed above.
.
 
Well comes down to use. I would want the D300 for sports,wildlife,etc where the 51AF points beefier AF motor would do better. Also if out and about all the time climbing and banging around in weather would feel better about having the D300 build. As been seeing some complaints of QA issues on lens mount problems and other. So personally would hold off for another 3 month's if D7000 was in my sites. But for me would probably go with the used D300 and used the extra cash for upgrading glass or adding to kit.
.
 
I would def. get a d7000. I'm planning on buying mine in mid-december if I can find one anywhere....
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom