To crop or not to crop?

DReali

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
wasn't sure which I preferred so any 3rd party opinions/ideas would be much appreciated

Original
IMG_2470copy.jpg

Cropped
IMG_2470cropcopy.jpg

Frankly, I couldn't care less if you are color blind. I couldn't care less if you are 100% blind either. If you are going to post on a photo forum, expect the same kind of C&C as everybody else.

As for your crop question, you're the artist, you're the only one who should make that decision depending on what exactly you are trying to say. If you don't know what you're saying, why should I?

I would say both work. The first for more of a candid street shot and the second for a casual portrait.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if you are color blind. I couldn't care less if you are 100% blind either. If you are going to post on a photo forum, expect the same kind of C&C as everybody else.

As for your crop question, you're the artist, you're the only one who should make that decision depending on what exactly you are trying to say. If you don't know what you're saying, why should I?

cloudwalker, frankly I couldn't care less if you're a real native american or if you just chose your name because you thought it sounded cool (see how pointless that was?). I couldn't care less if you've had or are still having a bad day, it doesn't change the fact that you're a bit of a an arrogant jerk. I worte my signature just as a friendly tagline not as a request for people to "go easy on me". I can take criticism just as well, if not better than the next person. It's how we learn isn't it?

I don't believe cropping this photo changes "what I'm trying to say" in the least, it's just a man's face. In fact I wasn't trying to say anything at all. It's just a photo. In my opinion people who takes street shots (apart from the pretentious "artists") never plan what they want to convey before the shot has been taken, they just see something interesting and try to capture it. If the result tells a "story" so be it, but that wasn't the goal they originally set for themselves. The goal is to produce an aesthetically pleasing image, pure and simple. The only difference between these two shots is the crop and I fail to see how this can change "what I'm trying to say". It's just a question of composition. The subject, in case you haven't noticed, is the same in both. I was merely asking for a more expert opinion on the subject of composition. I don't consider myself an "artist". I'm a forensic scientist who enjoys taking pictures in the little free time I have and sometimes I post those on a forum to get some feedback and learn. If everyone knew what they wanted to say the whole concept of criticism would become meaningless and this forum wouldn't exist. People would just say "well, this photo is under-exposed, out of focus and poorly composed because that is what i was trying to say."

As you said " If you are going to post on a photo forum, expect the same kind of C&C as everybody else." and that's exactly what I've done. I posted the photo here expecting some constructive feedback, which to be honest you haven't even come close to providing.

I would say both work. The first for more of a candid street shot and the second for a casual portrait.

Thanks Dagwood. Anyone else?

While I am no expert on street shooting, I really prefer the first. By cropping in the second one, you loose context. The only thing I would try is perhaps darkening the right a tad just to put more emphases on the feoolow looking at you.
Perhaps a bump in contrast is all it needs.

It is funny how photographs speak to you... I my personal opinion! The first is way, way ,way stronger... I would never crop it.... But ...that is just my personal opinion and how the shot speaks to me.

Cheers, Joe

Me too, no crop. In fact a bit farther away for my taste. I usually do not compose very tight, that so I can do a final crop and compose on my computer. Nice shot , my vote goes to number 1. Thanks for posting.

I like it without the crop, the portrait is too personal for my liking :p

Thanks for the help everyone, I shall leave it as it is.

It looks 10x better not cropped. Btw, I think c.cloudwalker thought your signature was part of the actual post, which is probably why he went all Mr.Bitterpants on you. I don't see why he would think you'd put it in here since the photograph is B&W but still. :)

What a great photo - please dont crop! Ignore Cloudwalker! Colour not required - and indeed would impede this shot.

It looks 10x better not cropped. Btw, I think c.cloudwalker thought your signature was part of the actual post, which is probably why he went all Mr.Bitterpants on you. I don't see why he would think you'd put it in here since the photograph is B&W but still. :)

Cheers Felix. I have no idea what cloudwater was on about, something must have crawled up his cooter that day...

What a great photo - please dont crop! Ignore Cloudwalker! Colour not required - and indeed would impede this shot.

I like without the crop. It tells more of a story.

Really appreciate the comments guys, I'm glad you like it.

cloudwalker, frankly I couldn't care less if you're a real native american or if you just chose your name because you thought it sounded cool (see how pointless that was?). I couldn't care less if you've had or are still having a bad day, it doesn't change the fact that you're a bit of a an arrogant jerk. I worte my signature just as a friendly tagline not as a request for people to "go easy on me". I can take criticism just as well, if not better than the next person. It's how we learn isn't it?

I don't believe cropping this photo changes "what I'm trying to say" in the least, it's just a man's face. In fact I wasn't trying to say anything at all. It's just a photo. In my opinion people who takes street shots (apart from the pretentious "artists") never plan what they want to convey before the shot has been taken, they just see something interesting and try to capture it. If the result tells a "story" so be it, but that wasn't the goal they originally set for themselves. The goal is to produce an aesthetically pleasing image, pure and simple. The only difference between these two shots is the crop and I fail to see how this can change "what I'm trying to say". It's just a question of composition. The subject, in case you haven't noticed, is the same in both. I was merely asking for a more expert opinion on the subject of composition. I don't consider myself an "artist". I'm a forensic scientist who enjoys taking pictures in the little free time I have and sometimes I post those on a forum to get some feedback and learn. If everyone knew what they wanted to say the whole concept of criticism would become meaningless and this forum wouldn't exist. People would just say "well, this photo is under-exposed, out of focus and poorly composed because that is what i was trying to say."

I will repeat: I couldn’t care less if you are colorblind. Why should I?

Should I judge your photos differently because you are colorblind? I don’t think so. And your announcing that you are is a way to tell us we should, me think. If not, please explain to us what we are supposed to get out of it. The friendly would most definitely need some explaining…

Again, if you post on a photo forum, be ready for your photos to be judged and C&Ced as photos. Just like everyone else’s photos. It is your right to not like this but it is not your right to tell us how to look at your work.

I don’t care one bit what you think of my name but it has nothing to do with my photos, unlike your sig. Color blindness is directly related to photography but in no way does it relate to how I should react to your work.

As for the second half of my response, sorry if you don’t get it but this is not Hollywood. No multiple choice endings here. You, as the artist, pick what it is you want to say and say it.

If you can’t decide what it is you want to say, it is not my/our problem. If you don’t know what you want to say, maybe you need to get back to the basics.

Why do I shoot photos?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back