To crop, or not to crop

Kenneth Walker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Burghfield Common, near Reading, Berkshire, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Would you take out the roadway in the bottom right of the image? Feel free to tamper with the image. I've tried it, but not so sure.I just love the repetition on the underside of this bridge (the main line bridge at Reading station)
underneathhdr.jpg

Wow, amazing!

Very nice. The only thing I might be tempted to do would be to crop just enough on the right to get rid of that pole and the bright support beams in the lower right, but one could also make a case for those actually making it more interesting by breaking the pattern, along with that grate in the upper right.

I really like this.The lines and textures are great and the color.I think maybe what ken said about the small crop on the right to lose the sign the bright area in that one corner would even things out.

I would leave it as is. It looks great.

Would you take out the roadway in the bottom right of the image? Feel free to tamper with the image. View attachment 115713
No. I would not crop the image.
However I would edit the photograph, because the image histogram indicates it is under exposed, and I find the sign distracting.
And since you said "Feel free to tamper with the image", I did just that.

Using Photoshop Camera Raw (parent of LR Develop Module) I made the following global adjustments:
• Exposure: + 0.75 EV • Contrast: +50 • Clarity: +30 • Vibrance: +30
• Sharpening: Amount - 25, Radius- 1.0, Detail - 25, Masking - 0
• Noise Reduction: Color Noise reduction - 60, Color detail - 50, Color Smoothness - 50
Using Photoshop CC 2015 I made the following local adjustments:
• Clone Stamp tool - @ 100% Opacity and 100% Flow - Quick and dirty, cloned over the sign at lower right.
• Dodge Tool - Midtones, Exposure 100%, Protect Tones - I dodged what looks like 2 people in the lower right corner standing at the rail.
• Burn tool - Midtones, Exposure 75%, Protect Tones - I burned around what looks like 2 people in the lower right corner standing at the rail, and I burned the over exposure in the lower right corner.
Lastly, using Image > Canvas Size, I added a 0.025" black border to the image.

underneathhdr.jpg

Would you take out the roadway in the bottom right of the image?
No.

The small portion of roadway helps to lend scale and it "grounds" the scene (no pun).

If you are tying to find an abstract here, it probably won't happen unless you change a lot more than just the one corner.

Sounds as if Valentine's Day is coming up.

KmH Thanks for your efforts I'll try something along those lines, all this was in Elements 14, with an HDR plugin; still very much feeling my way with Lightroom.......and thanks to everybody else for the replies.

I'd remove the top rather than the bottom. The light fitting is vulgar.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Leave it alone. Dont take out:
  • light fitting
  • people on the right
  • graffiti
  • signs on the left
  • pole on the right
  • roadway
It looks just fine and reminds me of railway bridges around central Glasgow.

Great shot

Most reactions

Back