To Full Frame or Not to Full Frame

michels287

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The last time I did photography/film work was in college 8 years ago when I took a few years of film. I miss it badly, and I want to get back into it.

So I decided to look into the world of dslr cameras.

Hmm...

I plan on shooting more photos than video, but I miss my Final Cut Pro editing days. So I do plan on making short films again.... just for fun. Also when I see shots I want to capture (and I remember the photos I took in college), I loved to work in low light. I always found it appealing to me. My eye often goes towards low light shots.

Outside of that, I plan on using the camera for family work: portraits of nieces/nephews/my own future children. I would also use the camera for video testimonials for my work, and I also plan taking product photos for business. The product photos would be enlarged for web use/flyers/brochures.

I am good with computers and have experience with Photoshop. I would plan on editing my own photos. I can see myself editing RAW photos for sure.

I see this as an investment for many, many years to come.

I wonder if I'd regret ever buying a crop sensor, knowing now that I can spend a bit more and get a full frame.

If I get a crop sensor, can I get the same effect by adding a wide angle lens to mimic the full frame advantage? Maybe then, I can just get a crop today, and adjust for a possible want for FF later. Thoughts?

I don't own any glass, so that's one starting plus in finding a good initial dslr setup.

Anyone want to open up a conversation on this one with me? I have a lot of uses for a camera, I just need to start narrowing down what features I should have. For some reason, I started with crop vs FF.

Thanks.

If you miss the visual perspective of lenses on 35mm, then go full frame.

24mm = 24mm for example on FF

Instead of

24mm = 40-ish mm on an APS-C size sensor

There are other factors that I'm sure other members will point out favoring one or the other but if you enjoyed film then I would peg this as something to consider.

I do like the cinematic look and feel of images and video.

I guess that cannot be achieved as well even if a crop sensor with a wide lens?

Thanks for your comment.

I do like the cinematic look and feel of images and video.

I guess that cannot be achieved as well even if a crop sensor with a wide lens?

Thanks for your comment.

It certainly can. But if you're used to a given focal length giving you a specific field of view, you'll need to do a little math in your head if you're going to use a crop sensor.

For instance, if you know what a 28 mm lens would cover on your old film camera, putting that same lens on a crop sensor will leave you wondering what happened to half the image.

In order to get the same field of view on a crop sensor, you have to use an 18 mm lens.

I bought a croped sensor camera and I am very happy with it but lets face it if I could afford a full frame camera I would get it.
I think its mostly a question of money.
If you can afford a full frame then I say go for it!!!

Good luck.

Go with a full frame. You probably want that oversize bokeh in the background like you see on a lot of short films. Your best bet is probably a canon 5D2. The price drops like crazy thanks to 5D3. You should be able to find one used easily in your area via. Craigslist.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm sure I'll be happy with any camera, crop or not, but my gut is telling me full frame.

I've been trying to find a camera store where I can test them out, but I'm sorta limited to whatever is in stock at Best Buy.

Is it true that they tend to be better in low light?

I'm sure crop sensors still take nice photos in lower light, but how often does one really need to use high ISOs? I guess it depends on what image I want to capture.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm sure I'll be happy with any camera, crop or not, but my gut is telling me full frame.

I've been trying to find a camera store where I can test them out, but I'm sorta limited to whatever is in stock at Best Buy.

Is it true that they tend to be better in low light?

I'm sure crop sensors still take nice photos in lower light, but how often does one really need to use high ISOs? I guess it depends on what image I want to capture.
I agree with your statement that no matter what you choose cropped or Full Frame you will be happy.
Most Cropped bodies are excellent picture taking machines but still the Full Frame is better.

Full Frame is indeed better in low light/high ISO

Best Buy has some full frame d-slrs,usually. AT least a couple of popular models from Canon and Nikon.

Get either the Nikon 600 or Canon 6D, both full frame, amazing cameras and about 1000$ cheapper then their full frame pro grade sisters the Nikon D800 or Canon 5D Mark III
I wish I could afford one of them :hail:

...other than size,isn't the senser in the d7000 almost indentical to the d600?

...other than size,isn't the senser in the d7000 almost indentical to the d600?
Do you mean identical in performance ?

From what I saw and read as good as the D7000 sensor is the D600 full frame sensor is better, in low light the D600 has an edge.

...the only reason i bring this up,is because,i considered stepping up to the d600,then started to research it,and found it was only step sideways (at best).In fact the d600 had inferior specs in a few areas due to its size ie:fps and shutter speed,if i recall correctly.

Most reactions

Back