To upgrade or not? Sony p200 upgrade to WX9 or equivelant other brand?

yepp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am trying to decide whether or not I should upgrade my sony P200. I think it still takes good pictures, with the exception of low light, but i just find that it's too big for pocket carry. Although if I plan on taking a lot of low light pictures I'll take out the D90, which I still have a lot to learn on. Anyways, I want to upgrade my p&s primarily for size and a few of the in camera programs of the new Sony's seem like they would be quite nice to have, like the Handheld twilight and sweep panorama.

The p200 isn't all that big of a camera but at 1.1 inches i find a little to big to be in anything but a cargo pocket. The wx9 is about 1/3in smaller and would be much more comfortable as a travel/edc camera. A camera of the WX9's size would also be much more comfortable in my motorcycle gear.

My next question is, are the twilight and panorama modes worth it, or would i just be better off using software? if so what software? and what other recommendations for a nice travel sized camera? Zoom, MP are not as important by any means to pic quality, acceptable low light and size (not too small really; the wx9 is about perfect). Even if i were to go with the wx9 I would be using 12mp or less. On my p200 I primarily shot 3-5 mp. I honestly hate the MP race that is going on, as it is totally unnecessary for p&s'.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Last edited:
bump...anyone?

i dont even know what you asked in the first two paragraphs, but as for the modes on the cam, i find them useless cuz i never use them. take the pictures in portrait orientation and use photoshop to stitch them into a panorama. if you're looking for a travel camera with good overall quality, take a look at canon G10, 11, 12

yes i agree on using software instead of in camera features. No longer really a consideration anymore. The canon g# are great camera's but its still rather larger and more pricey than i want. I'm more looking for a Fast, Small and reasonably priced camera around the same size as the Sony's wx9 or 5. So around .90ish inches or less in depth. I understand I won't get the best quality camera with those requirements but I'm just looking for the best of those requirements. So far i've had a hard time tracking down the right pocket-able camera. Doesn't have to be the smallest camera as I've seen a really small canon. While its kinda nice i really don't want one that small. It doesn't have to be a sony.

Most reactions

Back