canon body questions!

Marissamurdy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello! I currently have a canon 20d and am looking to upgrade. I'm having a hard time deciding which canon body is the best for me. My dream would be the 5d mark ii but I can't afford to spend 2500 at the moment. I was thinking a used 50d or the 5d mark i. I am a portrait photographer and not looking to do any action photography. Any suggestions or comments would be great!

You can check out some of my photography at Flickr: Marissa.Murdy's Photostream

That's not enough information.

What is it the 20D isn't doing for you, that has you looking to upgrade?

Have you considered a 7D? The 5D1 is a great portraiture camera, and works wonders in low light, but it is DEFINITELY not a sports/action camera (and neither is the 5D2, really).

The 7D offers good low light performance for an APS-C body, and has 19 Cross Type focus points to keep the action in focus.

Before you run out and buy a 7D or a 50D, figure out what capabilities you need. Why wouldn't a much less expensive high-end Rebel (T2i, T3i, T3) suit your purposes? They probably have more features and better performance than what you have. If you're doing portraits and not action you probably don't care if your camera isn't built like a tank. I dragged my first Rebel around the city in a backpack (a regular, non-padded one) for three years with no problems.

What lenses do you have now? If you have any EF-S lenses (or off-brand equivalent), then you need to realize that they won't work on a 5D, 5D mk II etc. So if you do have them, and don't want to get a new lens(s) as well...then you may want to stick with an APS-C body.

Big mike Is right about the lensedYour primary question is where are you going and why is your 20d inadequate. If the camera is still good I'd spend money on lenses! I'd only buy EF and I'd start with 70-200 f4 L series or the 70-300 3.5-5.6 EF. Them make your decision on body later. I started with 40d always bought EF lenses then a friend wanted to sell his 5d so he could upgrade and I picked it up for $800 sold my 40d for $450. Now I have For me, my dream outfit

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

I'd buy a used 5D classic. There really are not that many EF-S lenses you're likely to have...what are there, six total EF-S lenses? The 5D will mount many lenses with lens adapters, so you could get some great glass really cheap if you're of a mind to. With a 5D, you'd have more background control than with a 1.6x Canon,and one of Canon's best lens values, their 85/1.8 EF, is a wonderful lens on a 5D. Image quality from the 5D is still quite high at all ISO values up to 1,600.

thank you everyone!! I need a second body for the wedding I am shooting and the 20d was a gift from my grandpa along with the lenses. I mainly shoot with the canon 50 mm 1.4. Right now I'm looking at a used 5d for $1100 or a used 50d for $700. is it worth the extra $400 is really what I am debating and what I need to prove to my dad. Thanks!

what comes with the 5D? That seems a bit too expensive. If you only get a good condition body with no lens and no grip, it should be around $950.

You're photos are very good. People will suggest all sorts of other ways to spend your money: Lessons, lenses, tripods, lighting, etc. But I hate when people ignore the question: 50D or 5D, and how to justify to your dad. From the examples of what you do: The 5D is more popular for creative portrait work: Full frame sensor, creative control options.

Check into the creative features available on the cameras and the level of control you can get for what you do. Google for review sites (pro-reviews, not consumers)

How to justify to your dad: Either illustrate what you can't do now with the 20D, or find a way to make money with your 20D photography.

Most reactions

Back