Todays bird variety, some firsts and ID's needed

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got together with Zombiesniper and HavToNo today. We were on the hunt for Green Herons but not too successful. Was able to get 5 firsts for me. Actually had a 6th first, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, but unfortunately missed focus so I just kept for record. Need sure on a couple ID's a definitely need ID on two of them.

1. Spotted Sandpiper - A first for me

Spotted Sandpiper
by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

2. Alder Flycatcher - A first for me

Alder Flycatcher by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

3. Belted Kingfisher. My best capture of one so far

Belted Kingfisher

4. Marsh Wren. I think. Need confirmation. Another first.

Marsh Wren

5. Immature Swamp Sparrow - A first for me

Immature Swamp Sparrow

6. Immature Swamp Sparrow

Immature Swamp Sparrow

7. Female Common Yellowthoat

Female Common Yellowthroat

Last edited:
Yeah, you got a great shot of the Kingfisher.

My guess on your bird ID ...
2 - Alder Flycatcher
4 - I think you are right
5/6 - immature Swamp Sparrow
7 - female Common Yellowthroat

Yeah, you got a great shot of the Kingfisher.

My guess on your bird ID ...
2 - Alder Flycatcher
4 - I think you are right
5/6 - immature Swamp Sparrow
7 - female Common Yellowthroat

Thanks Dennis! In my guide the flycatchers all look very similar and I couldn't nail it down. Immature Swamp Sparrow looks right especially from where I captured it. Not sure how I missed the Yellowthroat, I have captured the male before so not a first for me.

Yeah, we have multiple guide books and many times it is still difficult to nail down ... so far I have found the Merlin ID app is most helpful ... I just used it by taking the image from your posts directly into Merlin, and this then looking at it's guess'.

I would love to get a pic like your Kingfisher ... every time I try to get a shot of one they laugh (you know what that sounds like) while they fly away in the opposite direction, knowing that I will fail getting any usable pics.:BangHead:

On the warbler what about immature male Common yellowthroat? Pewee seems right. Buffy wing bars would make it a juvenile. And on the sparrow what about Savannh? All just guesses and in any case a very nicely done set.

On the warbler what about immature male Common yellowthroat? Pewee seems right. Buffy wing bars would make it a juvenile. And on the sparrow what about Savannh? All just guesses and in any case a very nicely done set.

Thanks. I think an immature Yellowthroat would have a bit darker marking under the eyes that would become the black markings in the adult. Alder would fit the area I captured this better than the Peewee, not totally sold on which one yet but leaning towards the Alder now. I think the Savannah has more a hint of yellow in the face?
When you are dealing with immature birds it makes ID even more difficult. I think its time to bring in the big guns.
Calling @ZombiesniperJr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back