Today's Impromptu Portraits!

The exposure and composition appear to be good at first glance, but the processing has sucked all the detail out of the highlights and overly flattened the images. The histograms confirm that there is little to no detail in the mid-tone to highlight range. This is particularly problematic because your meter is placing the exposure of Caucasian skin in the 15-18% gray range, precisely where you need detail. Further, the heavy vignetting creates the illusion of your highlights being even brighter than they actually are, which doesn't help when they're already too bright to begin with.

Hi Max... So, you didn't like them? (that was a joke, BTW). I'm not surprised in the histogram at all. Pretty much everything about this photo session was doomed to start with. I didn't WB the camera and I used 2 flashes, one ring light on camera and a SB-800 off to the right. This was a rushed photo session if there ever was one. But, for what it was (and is) they were at least viewable without people running to the restroom to vomit.

I am going to reshoot them in the spring. Thanks for the comments! Love ya bud.

Sirsteezo: They are at Portsmouth City Park by the small craft boat ramp. (I grew up in P-Town, which is where my friend lives.)

I don't know what they're "doomed." Are the highlights really that blown in RAW?

These are the original files... no processing at all (other than resizing them to 4x6's 120 dpi) I didn't shoot RAW. I shot around 6 megapix. (It was on medium resolution because I know I wasn't going larger than an 11x14). The 200 maxes out around 10 megpxl.

$Hanes Portraits-31web.jpg

$Hanes Portraits-49 web.jpg

$Hanes Portraits-51 web.jpg

I don't mean any offense, but you really ought to re-think parts of your processing workflow. There is more than enough detail to work with there, and thus no reason that they should be so blown out in the final images. I think it's definitely possible for you to achieve the sort of look you're going for without adversely affecting the tone range/contrast.

I don't take offense at all. I was going for that particular look for my personal reasons. The processing I did for the mom (my friend) was over the top conservative. If you put up the 2 images side by side, you (Max) would have picked the other one. I did this to the extreme on purpose for my own taste. I would never go that far to sell the thing [prints].

Shots are cool, was looking at them and was like wow, I know that place. We live just a few blocks from it ( in Simonsdale area) and kids play there all the time. Small world.

I don't take offense at all. I was going for that particular look for my personal reasons. The processing I did for the mom (my friend) was over the top conservative. If you put up the 2 images side by side, you (Max) would have picked the other one. I did this to the extreme on purpose for my own taste. I would never go that far to sell the thing [prints].

I understand you've got your "personal reasons." More power to ya. I am curious, though, as to what you feel the aesthetic appeal of pulling out all the skin detail is.

I understand you've got your "personal reasons." More power to ya. I am curious, though, as to what you feel the aesthetic appeal of pulling out all the skin detail is.

Well it's pretty easy here... I like the look on this set for what it is. I would love to use this technique on a model that is older and perhaps could feel comfortable being way more seductive. To me, it's a look that I'd see in a pictorial if shot of a freak show or it's very "rock star".

Images are Kat Von D and Marylin Manson

$KatVonD.jpg

$MManson.jpg

I am using a trial version of Lightroom and one of the custom settings is aged photo which fades a photo to a degree. I would think that the first thing to go is the lighter areas in this case is the face. This is more exaggerated in the shot of the girl because of her skin tone and the heavy makeup she had on. The exception to the blown out look was the boy sitting on the rail by himself. I think that one looks the most even in the tones.

I'll get the shots I did for the mom posted later today (they are still on my laptop). I really what you to see that the detail isn't where I would like it to be (because of the dismal day) but my personal taste and what I produce for my clients are sometimes different.

By the way, I see where you are coming form in these critiques. I really do agree with you on the technical things. I have just adapted "art" over "technique" on this set.

Have a good day at work!

Shots are cool, was looking at them and was like wow, I know that place. We live just a few blocks from it (in Simonsdale area) and kids play there all the time. Small world.

It is a small world!

Cindy... Thanks. New avatar I see. Cool. =o)

Hey David, who took that photo of Kat? I've seen it around the web a few times.
Both are Killer!
Thanks on the new avatar. I felt like being funky.

Hey David, who took that photo of Kat?

It's funny that you mentioned that because I don't know either. I google searched it (Kat Von D image) and lifted this one from some guys blog. I can't find it either. If you find out, let me know too! (It's probably a production shot taken during the video promo's for LA Ink)

They are great photos, but IMO you have overkilled the black corners effect, the whole photo is too bogged down with darkness. Maybe lighten that effect a bit?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back