Tokina 11-16 scratch on rear element ... any idea what it costs to repair?

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have no idea how it got there. I just cleaned my gear yesterday after a shoot, nothing was there. Opened my bag up this evening and there it was :irked:

I don't imagine this will be covered under warranty. Any idea what manufacturers usually charge to replace a rear element?

Man! That's sucks!

I do not know the answer, but I will for sure ask the manufacturer and have them give you a estimate. It is kind of strange that the damage is on the rear element instead of the front element.

Looks more like a chip than a screatch.

Chip, scratch, whatever. The repair process is the same and it still sucks :\

Any idea what Tokina's customer service is like and what I should expect?

Last edited:
if it doesn't affact IQ, i wouldn't sweat it.

True that. Take some test shots and compare them with shots taken before it happened. If you can't see it, then don't worry.

True that. Take some test shots and compare them with shots taken before it happened. If you can't see it, then don't worry.
Very obvious f/22, obvious at f/16, apparent at f/11 :(

And I do use those apertures.

Very obvious f/22, obvious at f/16, apparent at f/11 :(

And I do use those apertures.

That........................

sucks.

rear elements scatches are the one who screw your lens up. thats sucks.

Indeed :(

On the bright side, it sounds like the insurance I have on the lens should cover it... though, that doesn't take away the sting of being without it for a few weeks.

Last edited:
The ring that holds the rear element in the lens body is right there in your photograph. It has 2 slots 180° apart for the tool used to tighten/untighten the retaining ring.

You just need the right tool to unscrew the ring so you can remove/replace the rear lens element. So, beyond the tool, all you need is new a rear lens element.

Hmm... interesting. Conceivably, one could remove the ring with a flat-head screw-driver. Would removing that ring cause any of the internal elements to fall out?

I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing the replacement myself. Plus, doing so would probably void the warranty.

Last edited:
Don't turn the lens upside down so internal parts can fall out.

A quick check at Tokina's USA web site yields:
Please note that our warranty does not cover damage caused by misuse, accident or careless handling; water, fungus or other foreign substance(s); or tampering, repair or attempt to repair by unauthorized repair facility or individual.

Please note that our warranty does not cover damage caused by misuse, accident or careless handling; water, fungus or other foreign substance(s); or tampering, repair or attempt to repair by unauthorized repair facility or individual.

Right. My point is that, while this repair isn't covered under warranty, future warranty claims for applicable defects would be rejected if I did this repair myself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back